Tuesday, March 14, 2006

WHERE AM I?

Good day dear friends. I have not received any updates other than the ones sent last night regarding Ashtyn and Francis. We continue to keep them in our prayers.

Here is our study guide as we continue to study self-denial.

Tuesday: In Luke 9:57-62 Jesus is followed by someone who cries out that he would follow Him. Read Jesus’ response to him and what it might say to you. In your setting today, are those words ringing true for your life or do you find yourself in the midst of a more servant role? Read the passage slowly and allow each condition mentioned there speak to your spirit. Pray that God would share a blessing to you as you learn to surrender more to Him.

Here is that passage:

Luke 9:57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." 58 And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." 59 To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." 60 But Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." 61 Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." 62 Jesus said to him, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

The first one volunteered to go with Jesus. Jesus explains the reality of the itinerant ministry in which he was involved; "you might not get a bed every night." Jesus invites the second one and this one replies he must return home to bury his father. To this one Jesus replies that the urgency of the gospel is to go and proclaim now the kingdom of God and to "let the dead bury their own dead." The third one volunteered with a condition, I will follow you after I go and say my goodbyes to my family. To this one Jesus says, once you set after me, don't look back.

To follow Christ means to do so wholeheartedly; with a commitment that isn't easily shaken. To follow Christ is a journey best traveled forward and not back. The realities of self-denial is putting God first may not always bring you want you want or think you need; but it does bring satisfaction and fulfillment not measured with beds or places to stay. To follow Christ means to fulfill the will of your heavenly Father not your earthly one. Barclay has said that this saying of "let me go and first bury my father" really means to return home to work and fulfill his family obligation until the father dies, the estate and situation is settled, someone is found to stay in charge of the rest of the family, and then he can follow. Jesus knew that could take some time. And the more time one takes away from the calling of God the less one will be able to do the will of God. And to the third Jesus said, once you start out with me, don't look back at what could have been; ours is to move towards 'the best is yet to come.'

As you have read the passage and my comments on it, where do you find yourself? Are you like the first, ready to go but not so sure you're ready for some of the hazards or limitations of physical accomodations involved in ministry? Are you like the second who still has many obligations to your family that you can't start yet? Or are you hesitating because you have it good now and you think if you leave now, you'll miss out on more?

Only you can answer that question in conversation with God, and that is your assignment for today.

PRAYER: Come, loving God, speak to my heart. Let me see through Your eyes where I am. Open my spirit to minister to all regardless of my situation, but if You want me somewhere else in ministry, then reveal that to me now. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day!

e.v.