Monday, January 05, 2009

LET'S GO TO THE MOVIES: BENJAMIN BUTTON

Loving God of new life, smile down upon this dear reader with the rich blessings of life and grace. In Jesus' Name, amen.

We started a new sermon series called, "Let's Go to the Movies," a fun way to attract new worshipers and a way to address some of the themes that are (or perceived to be) in new releases. This week we used "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" as our movie and we addressed a couple of issues, that of growing old, and one's fear of death. The movie, based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, addresses those and some others. The text was on Eph. 5:15-19 and Matt. 5:13-17.

Do you have a fear of growing old or of looking old? Do you have a fear of death? Our oldest, Nellie Maria, when she was about 5 or 6, came to us one day at the point of tears and declared, "I don't want to be 10!" Why, we asked, "Because I will be really old and you two will be dead!" Innocent fears based on perceived "scientific" data. Thank God, all three of us survived Nellie's being 10! The Bible speaks in favor of growing old and our realization of the fact that we all will die one day. As it does, it speaks of God being with us and never abandoning us. It also shows us the proper way to grow old and that is to all us to truly be people of "salt" and "light." I mentioned in my sermon a quote from Dr. Charles Allen from one of his books when he said that old age has a way of boiling away the superficial things to the true essence of who we truly are. I read this early in my career as I was beginning to make visits into nursing homes. Dr. Allen could not have been more right. I discovered those souls who had boiled down to plain bitterness and pessimism. And I was richly blessed by those who had become pure sugar and love. Which path are you on?

The Psalmist in both Psalm 89:47ff and 90:10 speaks of our finite lives, but of God's infinite love for us and the knowledge that we can truly "dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Once we accept these, life becomes better.

PRAYER: Loving God, make me truly a person of love. Let me add Your flavor to life and let my life shine in ways that point to You. Bless this reader in her/his struggle(s) with life. Help them to adjust their attitude towards You so that You may guide them and me, in the way that You would have us go. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

STUDY GUIDE: We find in Psalm 89:47ff, some very honest but some would say, disturbing thoughts on our mortality. Please find that passage and see what it says to you about your own life and attitude towards it.