Monday, April 25, 2011

I Serve a Risen Savior!

Lord of the Resurrection and New Life, bring the same to the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from John 20: 18 Mary Magdalene went, telling the news to the disciples: "I saw the Master!" And she told them everything he said to her. 19 Later on that day, the disciples had gathered together, but, fearful of the Jews, had locked all the doors in the house. Jesus entered, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you." 20 Then he showed them his hands and side. 21 Jesus repeated his greeting: "Peace to you. Just as the Father sent me, I send you." 22 Then he took a deep breath and breathed into them. "Receive the Holy Spirit," he said. 23 "If you forgive someone's sins, they're gone for good. If you don't forgive sins, what are you going to do with them?" 24 But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master." But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it." 26 Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you." 27 Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe." 28 Thomas said, "My Master! My God!" 29 Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing." 30 Jesus provided far more God-revealing signs than are written down in this book. (The Message).

It was a woman who went with faith to tell what she had experienced. It was the least she could do for the impact and difference Jesus had had on her life. "I saw the Master!" The disciples on the other hand after having scattered out of fear, again with fear, gather at what we now call The Upper Room. It was there behind locked doors they prayed, worried, and wondered what would be next for them after seeing the hatred and venom of the enemy. They were visited by Jesus who said to them, "Peace to you," and showed them His hands and sides. He then again said, "Peace to you, just as the Father sent me, I am sending you." These were instructions of what Jesus still expected from them and then He breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit." The empowerment to do what was still to be done is shared with them. Jesus then talked about their power to forgive or retain sins, then He left. And of course, Thomas who is sometimes called the Twin (many still call him the Doubter), was not there. When he returns the others tell him all they had experienced and seen. Thomas, like you and me, says, "Unless I see it for myself, I'm not believing anything!" One week later, Jesus returns and guess what? Thomas is there. And Jesus approached him and addresses the very doubts he had shared with the disciples. "Thomas, you mentioned the wounds in my hand? Here they are! You also said something about my wound in my side, here it is. Touch it as you wanted." Thomas does not need to, he believes and exclaims, "My Master! My God!" The question Jesus asks still holds true today, "Are you believing because of what you saw? Imagine the greater blessings for those who do not see but believe!" And John at this point writes that his book could not contain the other signs that Jesus showed while He was still among them.

What about you? What do you believe? And why? Ours is a greater blessing for believing without seeing. And even greater is our blessing for not only believing but doing and living all that Christ has asked of us.

PRAYER: Loving God, I believe. Help me to live and do what I believe. May I truly be counted among the faithful apostles that goes and does what the Master has taught. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde