Thursday, October 06, 2011

The Great Shepherd!

Loving God, let this dear reader center on You and only You today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today is from a well-known Psalm, the 23rd: 1 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. 2 You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. 3 True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. 4 Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure. 5 You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing. 6 Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life. (The Message).

Okay, you decide. This is from a very recent translation of The Bible. How does it read for you? Does it still have the same power and effect as some of the older, more well-known translations? I thought it might refresh our appreciation for the traditional if we read it in a new way. The message is still the same: God cares for us. God provides for us. God knows our needs and is right there for us as we face these needs. God walks with us, even when the walking is tough. Though the surroundings may not be familiar, God is with us. God celebrates with us. God refreshes us, and God loves us not only now but forever. God will provide an eternal home for us.

This goes right with yesterday's lesson on impatience. This psalm teaches us patience in God. It is a gentle reminder of God's presence in our lives. Though it may seem that God is busy elsewhere, God is with us. It serves a great purpose in our lives, and calms us for the day's journey. Journey with God!

PRAYER: Loving God, may I center myself in You today. May I seek after You as You seek after me. May I know the power of Your presence even when it seems that I feel so alone and weak. I ask this in the Name of He who was and is The Good Shepherd, Jesus, my Lord and Savior, Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde