Monday, December 05, 2011

Making the Way Ready for Christ

Loving God, bless and protect this dear reader in all that they may face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from John 1: 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe . 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 19 And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou? 20 And he confessed , and denied not; but confessed , I am not the Christ. 21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith , I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered , No. 22 Then said they unto him, Who art thou ? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself? 23 He said , I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. 24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees. 25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet? 26 John answered them, saying , I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; 27 He it is , who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose . 28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing . (King James Version - In honor of its 400th Anniversary).

Advent is a time of preparation and reflection. It is a time of looking forward, backward, upward and inward as well. As we prepare for Christ's coming again, we ask if we are ready. As we remember Christ's first visit, we ask if we responded as Christ expected. As we reflect in Scriptre about Advent we ask, What more can I do? And as we reflect in prayer we ask, Am I prepared? John's short visit on the earth was to give witness to the coming of Jesus. He knew who and Whose he was. He knew he was not the Messiah, but he knew Him. He knew he was to fulfill the ancient prophecies as found in Isaiah and so he quoted the prophet and said yet again, "I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, make straight the way of the Lord." Get ready, in other words, and be made worthy, thus his offering of baptism.

John could not be trapped by those sent from the religious ones. He spoke from his heart and spirit and said he was only using water in preparation of one who would bring something the world needed, namely reconcilation with God.

As you live your life today ask yourself, Am I ready for Christ Jesus? Have I responded as Christ expected? Have I done all that Christ asked of me? Am I truly as prepared as I can be through Christ so that others can be reconciled with God?

PRAYER: Loving God, during this Advent Journey make me ready, make me faithful, make me prepare well, and help me to live in a way that gives witness to You; in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde