Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Good Shepherd

Good day dear friends.

Our text for today comes from John 10: 11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father." (NRSV)

We continue to marvel the mystery of Christ's willingness to die in our place. In this powerful passage of Scripture, which I count among my most favorite (v. 10 is my favorite verse), Jesus explains in terms that for that day were very understandable and can be for us as well. A good shepherd was committed to the sheep of his fold. The shepherd claimed the sheep as his own and knew no limits of what he would do to protect and care for them. The good shepherd spent the time needed for the sheep to get to know him and to now his voice. Re-read the 23rd Psalm and some of the passages of David as he remembered his days in the pasture. He fought lions and bears to protect his sheep and would have died to protect them had that been necessary. It was necessary for Jesus. And Jesus offered Himself willingly for us.

Easter re-claims the victory of that first Resurrection Sunday. Easter is the season that celebrates the power of God over sin and death. Easter is our message to the world that there can be hope in this place when it seems there is none. Easter is our message of promise that we are cared for and loved, by the only Good Shepherd the world has ever known.

Live you life as a confident lamb of God. Know that your every step, your every provision, is being guided and protected by He who knows and loves you. Spend time with the Shepherd and get to know His voice through prayer, Bible reading and reflection, through worship, through studying the faith, and your life will be blessed and a blessing to others.

PRAYER: Loving God, as I, and the one who prays this for themselves, go about this day, may the message of Easter stay with us. May we be a blessing of hope and peace to those who do not know it yet. May we be a source of love for those who feel unloved. And may we seek to learn Your voice so that we can share it with others. In Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Request: Dear friends, today is the day that the 2012 General Conference of The United Methodist Church begins. There is a lot of work that needs to be done in the ten days before us. Pray that we who represent you may do so in the knowledge and blessing of God. Thank you for praying for one another.