Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Job One: Be a Blessing!

1 Peter 3: 9 That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless - that's your job, to bless. You'll be a blessing and also get a blessing. 10 Whoever wants to embrace life and see the day fill up with good, Here's what you do: Say nothing evil or hurtful; 11 Snub evil and cultivate good; run after peace for all you're worth. 12 God looks on all this with approval, listening and responding well to what he's asked; But he turns his back on those who do evil things. 13 If with heart and soul you're doing good, do you think you can be stopped? 14 Even if you suffer for it, you're still better off. Don't give the opposition a second thought. (The Message)

John Wesley called it three simple rules. Or, maybe we did in summing it up; Do no harm. Do all the good you can. Stay in love with God. The passage for today is part of that inspiration. Our job is to bless. I remember my Dad telling me when he and Mom dropped me off at college, that my job was to study and do the best I could. I accepted and believed that and I did pretty well. God is telling us here, our job is to bless. No retaliation, as hard as that is sometimes for some. No sharp-tongued sarcasm, ouch! "Bless - that's your job, to bless." And the payment? We'll be a blessing and get a blessing! And Peter says if you want to embrace the fullness of life and see our days fill us with good, "Say nothing evil or hurtful; Snub evil and cultivate good; run after peace for all you're worth." The Christian life is above and thus more difficult than what the world dictates. We're all familiar with the says and quotes about revenge and vengance. God inspires us to do the opposite and live a life that shows a better way to live. Peter knows that those who live a life that is a blessing will never be stopped. Even if we happen to suffer as a result; God will have the last word.

For many this is the week to give thanks and celebrate God's goodness with family and friends. Wouldn't it be wonderful if one of the things others are grateful for, is you? I am!

PRAYER: Loving God, let me be a blessing. Help me to take seriously and joyously my job of blessing others. May I be quick with words that bless and heal rather than harm or hurt. May I seek understanding rather than revenge. May I come to be someone that others, especially You, are thankful for. I ask and pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde