Thursday, May 22, 2014

Give God a Thunderous Applause!

Photo of my wife in silent reflection, taken by me

Recount and Re-live all that God has done for you!

From The Message version, Psalm 66:8-20: Bless our God, O peoples! Give him a thunderous welcome! Didn't he set us on the road to life? Didn't he keep us out of the ditch? 10 He trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires, Brought us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very limit, Road-tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back; Finally he brought us to this well-watered place. I'm bringing my prizes and presents to your house. I'm doing what I said I'd do, What I solemnly swore I'd do that day when I was in so much trouble: The choicest cuts of meat for the sacrificial meal; Even the fragrance of roasted lamb is like a meal! Or make it an ox garnished with goat meat! All believers, come here and listen, let me tell you what God did for me. I called out to him with my mouth, my tongue shaped the sounds of music. If I had been cozy with evil, the Lord would never have listened. But he most surely did listen, he came on the double when he heard my prayer. Blessed be God: he didn't turn a deaf ear, he stayed with me, loyal in his love.

There have been two occasions where I have witnessed loud, thunderous applause which memories have stayed with me as a blessing. The first was when I was questioned before the entire assembly of the Río Grande Conference, June 11, 1976, and a vote was taken of the entire conference on my becoming a probationary member in full connection, and my first ordination as deacon (still then on track for elder's orders). The applause was not just for me but for those who also received the great honor and privilege to become members of the conference and to enter this sacred calling as pastors and ministers. The second was to worship in chapel on the Wilmore, KY, campus of Asbury Theological Seminary where every time they are gathered they recognize visiting students who are considering admission into that school. They are asked to stand as their names are read and once all the names are read, the entire student body (and it seems no one misses chapel there!) stands and gives them a good five-minute standing ovation. It is thunderous.

How do you worship God? And there is no right nor wrong way really, but I know there are times our worship should be private and personal, but there are others as the psalmist says when we should bless God with a thunderous welcome, with an exclamation point. Think about what he is sharing; God "set us on the road to life," and not just life, but life in abundance! Those times that life has thrown us into "the ditch" has it not been God who has pulled us out? Has not God been a part of our receiving direction from Him? Have we not learned even from those experiences that have tested us and our limits for life? Paths we have traveled and challenges we have endured, even "to hell and back," God has traveled with us and brought us safely out. This, dear friends, merits our worship and praise in a very public way!

The psalmist says he will hold nothing back in this worship of God, not even his money and possessions. God hears us when we need Him and we need Him to hear us as we thank Him! God's love never ends. Stick with God!

PRAYER: Let me hold nothing back, loving God, especially my thankfulness for all You have shared. Let my life be constant worship to You. And may it be a witness to others of what is and can be theirs as well. This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde