Monday, April 18, 2016

And They'll Know We Are Christians By Our ___?

Image from angusday.org

When he had gone out, Jesus said, ‘Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, “Where I am going, you cannot come.” I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.’ (John 13:31-35)

God blessed me with a wonderful day yesterday.  It was a long day, but one I spent with my sweet wife, going the width of our district.  We got up early to be in worship at First UMC in Port Lavaca, where our web master and his wife asked that I baptize their daughter.  His mother is our associate pastor at FUMC there, and it was a great morning, followed by a good lunch.  Then we zoomed over to George West, Texas, where I shared my faith story with a large group of confirmands.  And as I was reading the gospel text for this coming Sunday that thinking about the day and especially the giggly confirmands sitting on the front row that I thought of that old song which I quoted in the titles of this devotional.  The refrain says, "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love; yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love."  Did I mention I got attacked as soon as I walked in the sanctuary at the first church?  Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our lack of love in some cases...  It was not a personal attack but an attack against a pastor is still an attack.  Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our love...

The object of our lives is to glorify God in everything we say, think, and do.  And nothing glorifies God more than our love towards God, towards ourselves in positive, healthy ways, and our love for others.  It's the new commandment, and it's one that will never get old, especially as new people come to that understanding of its importance and centrality to our faith.  Jesus was suggesting or hinting this; He was commanding this.  "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  By this everyone will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Yes, everyone.  No exceptions.  Not even jerks.

PRAYER:  Lord, Easter is about Your love for us, and our love for you and others.  We sometimes fear the "others" because of what we have seen or experienced from some, but nonetheless, our commandment is to love one another.  Forgive us when we find it hard or try to ignore doing that; we are called to people The People of Love.  May it be so in my heart and life right now!  In Your Name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

PS  That attack did not ruin my day nor deny me my blessings!  Amen!