Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Custom-Made for Praise!

Image from englewoodumc.net

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters, who brings out chariot and horse, army and warrior; they lie down, they cannot rise, they are extinguished, quenched like a wick: Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.  The wild animals will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches; for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people,  the people whom I formed for myself so that they might declare my praise. (Isaiah 43:19-21)

Good morning dear Friend!  Praying that God find you and yours enjoying His presence and peace.  As we pray this morning, please include Mrs. Benita del Pozo in your prayers.  She was set to have surgery last night, but the surgery has been postponed until further notice.  Pray for Rev. Isabel Gomez, whose wife Katy, died yesterday morning.  Pray for God's comfort to be with him.  Continued prayers for Mrs. Norma Vera as she recovers in the hospital in Dallas.  Pray for one another.  Pray for yourselves.

God makes a way!  I believe that and so do you, right?  God has made many ways in my life even when it seemed there was NO possible way for anything to be done.  My university and seminary education will always be a reference point of what God can do.  God provided for me a wonderful and beautiful wife in Nellie when I had just about given up.  Your life has its share of stories as well.  Israel the nation would always remember the way God made a way in the sea when certain death seemed the only option.  And God removes and forgets our past sins, and points us towards that which is yet to come; a new thing!

All the good in our lives reminds us that we were custom-made to praise God.  The Message version of the Bible ends this passage with those words:  (v. 21) "the people I made especially for myself, a people custom-made to praise me."  Let me say a word about custom-made.  A few years ago, my first as a district superintendent, I got a call from a dear friend, The Rev. John Alsbrooks who had a church member who made custom boots and he was planning to retire.  The man had raised twelve children, and not one of them expressed an interest in learning the art and craft of boot-making.  John wanted to present me with a pari of custom boots.  Mr. Alex Andrade made two pairs for me, two for John, and one for a friend who happened to be visiting me that day.  One pair was brown, the other black.  The brown pair were recalled due to faulty leather and I received a new pair whose color is more on the burnt orange side, which caused me some minor problems in some churches that I visited.  I believe you can guess why!  I was promised a pair of maroon boots by a certain church, whose promise remains unfulfilled, so I won't mention Three Rivers UMC by name!  But let me say this about custom-made.  They were made especially and specifically for me.  They are comfortable and my black pair have been around the world with me.  In the very same way, you and I were made, custom-made by God, to join all of creation in praising Him.  Our spirits do not rest until we make time to praise God.

The blessings in our lives, the great stories of triumph and hope that came our way are the lyrics to the praise we should lift up in our prayers, our worship time, in our witness to others.  

PRAYER:  Loving Father, for all You have shared with us, we are thankful.  For the stories of triumph and glory that You shared with us we are blessed.  May we compile these into praise; may our time of prayer, our time of singing, our time of reading and hearing Your word bless You with gratitude and us with the memories and hopes of this wonderful life being in Thy hands.  We pray and we say Thank You, in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be a custom-made witness of the Lord's today!

Eradio Valverde

Our newest ConCafe tee shirt was inspired by yesterday's devotional, I BELONG TO JESUS, and it's available for the next three days at this link below: http://bit.ly/2OGzgDG