Thursday, September 26, 2019

An Evening Prayer and a Shout of Victory!

Image from faithisland.org

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/2nnDZRj

1 You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, 2 will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust." 3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence; 4 he will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. 5 You will not fear the terror of the night, or the arrow that flies by day, 6 or the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or the destruction that wastes at noonday. 14 Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name. 15 When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. 16 With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation. (Psalm 91:1-6, 14-16 NRSV)

May this devotional find you well and enjoying the best of what God offers to you dear Friend, and yours. May this time in quiet calm your nerves, sooth your spirit, and refresh your soul.

I should have used both versions of this psalm, for both are very powerful. But The Message version says for us, "who sit down in the High God's presence," and it says, "Say this: 'God, you're my refuge. I trust in you and I'm safe!" 3 That's right - he rescues you from hidden traps, shields you from deadly hazards. 4 His huge outstretched arms protect you - under them you're perfectly safe; his arms fend off all harm. 5 Fear nothing - not wild wolves in the night, not flying arrows in the day, 6 Not disease that prowls through the darkness, not disaster that erupts at high noon.' The first part is what I call a great evening prayer. Many times we're so tired, or worried, we don't know what to pray, and David says, "God, I can hide in You and I'm safe." And that is a wonderful prayer. The song, "Jesus King of Angels" by Fernando Ortega speaks of the power of Jesus to come into our dreams and keep us from harm. There are some nights I hear the song in my mind and I make it my prayer. And it does bless my sleep.

And prayer blesses my wide open days as well! The psalmist really outlined his faith in God's power to truly and completely watch over us. Verses five and onward are about what we can and sometimes do encounter at night, at noonday, or whenever. God speaks through David when He says that those of us who love Him enjoy His blessings of protection and deliverance. Again The Message version: 15 Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times; I'll rescue you, then throw you a party. 16 I'll give you a long life, give you a long drink of salvation!" Nothing can beat knowing that God is a God who answers, who comes to our side to rescue and protect, and who rejoices and celebrates with us when we have victories.

What more could we want?

PRAYER: Loving God, our refuge and our fortress; You are our God and in You we trust. Grant us rest when we need it; strength when we lack it, and victory when it is Your will. We pray for those recovering from surgeries, we pray for the lonely, and we pray for the troubled. Make real Your presence. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Teach someone a simple prayer today!

My blessings of love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde