Wednesday, November 06, 2019

I Know My Redeemer Lives!

Image from dustoffthebible.com

23 "O that my words were written down! O that they were inscribed in a book! 24 O that with an iron pen and with lead they were engraved on a rock forever! 25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that at the last he will stand upon the earth; 26 and after my skin has been thus destroyed, then in my flesh I shall see God, 27 whom I shall see on my side, (Job 19:23-27a NRSV)

When a child connects in his or her mind that there is something or someone out there, greater, stronger, wiser, and more loving, that's a precious and powerful moment. One of our nephews when he was just about 5 or 6 years old, called me to ask me for five Bibles. I asked him why he needed so many, and he said he needed God's power in his room to keep him from being afraid at night. When I met with him I gave him only one Bible along with a talk and a prayer. It made him calmer and allowed him to sleep in a more peaceful way. I also said he should read the Bible as best he could and weeks later when I saw him again, I asked how he's reading was going. "I read up to the book called Job. I couldn't understand it. I don't know if he needed a job or hated his job, but that's as far as I have gotten!" Indeed, Job, the man for today.

Job's problems arose because he was too connected to God. Job knew God and loved and trusted Him. He knew that all he had, had come from God; and when he lost all things, he knew that God was aware of it as well. Job is known as the man of great patience because of what he endured. Even with his wife's frantic advice to curse God and die, he didn't give in and held firm to his faith.

It is in today's passage that he exclaims out loud that what he has been saying should be written down; for he holds on to hope and believes that his words would one day bless those who have suffered or struggled in like manner. And even in the midst of loss and pain, Job stresses, "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that at the last He will stand upon the earth; and after my skin has been thus destoryed, then in my flesh I shall see God, who I shall see on my side." (vvs 25-27a).

Dear Friend, read those words as if you had yourself written them. You're writing as if you have reached the point where you can point away from the pain and loss, and affirm what Job affirms. Make it your Affirmation of Faith for your right now and for the days and years ahead. God's got this!

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, lift us beyond the pain and loss that we may have experienced. Help us declare Job's words as ours; You live, and You live as our Redeemer, He who takes our place when it gets almost impossible to move forward. And we long for the day when we shall see You face-to-face! In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Shine a ray of hope into someone's day!

Blessings of love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde