Monday, May 04, 2020

Jesus the Way to the Father!

Image from davidould.net

Hear the Devotional Read Here: https://bit.ly/35x2M7s

1 "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him." 8 Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves. 12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; 14 if you ask anything in my name, I will do it. (John 14:1-14 RSV)

Happy Monday, dear Friend, I pray God's rich mercies and blessings be upon you and yours today. Yesterday's service at our online church was a special blessing, with our graduating seniors participating in the worship service. We pray that God's rich blessings be upon them as they embark into a new world made a little different with this crisis hanging over our heads. May the Lord bring protection, healing, and peace to all, is my prayer.

It was 49 years ago that I graduated from high school. It was a meaningful thing for our family as my mother and father had not been graduates and as the oldest, I walked across the stage proud of the opportunity that God afforded me to complete that important milestone. I already knew that college was next and that I had to go; not going was not an option for my parents; they would find a way and I would graduate from college with God's help. The road ahead was not a clear one. One thing I knew that God had called me into ordained ministry and that my college years would lead me into seminary and into the field where God was leading me. So, I was not familiar with the road, but God had shown me the Way through Jesus.

Today's passage deals with the questions that death brings with it. Jesus was having a conversation with His disciples about His own death. They had just seen the miraculous resurrection of Lazarus in chapter 11, but now Jesus has made it clear to the 12 that He was going to Jerusalem to suffer and die. This was not something the disciples wanted to hear and vowed to defend Him. So, Jesus speaks with His peace, the same peace we hear throughout the Bible, "Don't be afraid..." Jesus speaks to the place where death hits hardest, the heart. "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me." In other words, "You saw what God did with Lazarus; if you believed that, believe me!" And Jesus shares a word about Heaven, speaking of His Father's house having many rooms, and that if that was not true, Jesus would have told them so; and, Jesus says He is going to prepare a place for them, so "that where I am you may be also." Then Jesus speaks about direction He is to take. Thomas, the soon to be doubter, speaks up, "Lord, we do not know where You are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus then shares this truth; "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." We have heard this passage countless times, but how well do we know what this means? Jesus is the One who leads those who trust Him in the right direction in which they should go. We know from experience that life offers so many possible ways and options for our lives, and if we trust Jesus and walk with Him, He will lead us as we should go. Talk to me about how many ways a college offers; you know there are many. And not all of them are from God. And the same was true in seminary. I have to confess that I dropped out my first year, and tried to hide from God. But like Jonah, there is no where one can go where God is not. In addition to Jesus being the way, Jesus is the truth. Again, I say that life broadcasts loudly the many truths that one could choose. While in college I remember seeing a magazine with hundreds of young people laying down on the tarmac of Hobby Airport in Houston awaiting the arrival of their perceived Messiah. And that was but one of many who have presented themselves as God's anointed, bearing God's "truth." Not too far from here, the Branch Davidians followed a human who claimed to be their messiah. And Jim Jones is another; and we have not yet seen the last of those. Each brings what they claim to be truth. You and I know Jesus to be the truth. Finally, Jesus says He is the life. In an earlier chapter (10),and last week's gospel text, Jesus spoke about life in abundance; that in Him we go beyond merely existing; we go into the fullness of life. Please keep in mind that this conversation comes in the midst of a discussion on death!

Jesus and God are one. Those who believe that have access to the peace and power that comes with knowing God in that way. Jesus says, in verse 12, "He who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he or she do, because I go to the Father." And the closing two verses are awesome as well; "Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it." As the questions and challenges of life and death come our way, we are not helpless, nor are we alone. You and I know the Savior; the one who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. It is He on Whom we stand and against Him nothing will prevail.

PRAYER: Loving God, as we continue through life, we sometimes lose sight of the way, but in knowing Your Son Jesus, we know He is the one who guides us. I pray You lift up those who are feeling low; bring comfort to those feeling sad; and glory to those who have felt alone and abandoned. This we pray in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. Pray for those who need the way, the truth, and the life.

Receive my blessings of peace and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde