Thursday, January 14, 2021

How Did You Know Me?

Image from holytextures.com

If you listen, you may get bonus material here: http://bit.ly/3sqsi9a

43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." 44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth." 46 Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." 47 When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" 48 Nathanael asked him, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." 49 Nathanael replied, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" 50 Jesus answered, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these." 51 And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man." (John 1:43-51 NRSV)

A blessed and joyous Thursday be yours, ConCafe Family! And may you bless the kingdom of God today with all who need to see and hear a positive word from those who know and love the Lord, is my prayer for you, dear Friend. We continue our prayers for the world, our nation, our communities, our neighbors, and for those sick, in prison, hungry, thirsty, needing clothing and assistance. Our prayers continue for one another and for ourselves.

The summer of 1972, on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans, I was in our family car, riding shotgun; my mother was in the middle seat, dad was driving, siblings in the back; windows open as we had no AC, and I hear my first name yelled. My Mom joked that they were calling me. Sure, I said, I've never been to Louisiana; first time in this place and someone knows me! Then the same voice yelled my last name. Yikes. They are calling me! I looked at the sideview mirror and saw a classmate from my college running as fast as he could to catch us. Dad stopped the car and I had a nice visit with a friend who was from Louisiana. It's nice to be known. And it's better when one is known not just by our name, but by who we truly are, as was the case with Nathanael.

Jesus is in Galilee, there He sees and calls Philip to "follow me." Philip accepts and joins the merry band of disciples. What's interesting is that he feels the need to tell his brother about Jesus. Such was the impression of Jesus on this man in a short amount of time. He tells his brother, "We have found Him about Whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth." Nate then questions the hometown of Jesus; "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip simply says, just come check Him out. And the one who gets checked out is Nate himself. "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Hmm. Anyone know you like that? They don't buy what others may say about you; they know the real you. To hear this prophet say about you that you are an honest, straightforward person, that is quite something. So, naturally, he has to ask the Lord, "Where did you get to know me?" He might have expected a long story, for this was after all, someone written about by Moses and the prophets, so He must know a lot! And what does Jesus say, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." Nate's response makes you think that Jesus knew what he was thinking about under the tree even before his brother called him, because he says, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus asks, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree?" Then, Jesus promises that Nate will see even greater things, much like Jacob saw; "the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."

Jesus knows you by name. More importantly, Jesus knows you deep in your heart. He knows your potential, and He's on your side. We can stay under the "fig tree," or we can come out into the sun where Jesus will meet us, invite us, and prepare us, and send us to serve Him and His people. It's your choice!

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, speak to us who sometimes love staying in the shade of the fig trees that comfort us and hide us. Let us come out boldly towards He who knows us and loves us; and Who will send us to where He needs us. Let us boldly serve You in all places; in His Name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Tell others that God knows you and them!

Receive my blessings of peace and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde