Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Thorn in the Flesh

Image from orderofpreachersindependent.org

Sometimes there's more to listening than reading: https://bit.ly/3jofRbT

2 I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. 3 And I know that such a person—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows— 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. 5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. 6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, 7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:2-10 NRSV)

A blessed Tuesday be yours, dear ConCafe Family! And may the joys of following and serving God bless your life and purpose, dear Reader, that's my prayer for you. I share good news about Mr. Eloy Rodriguez, who successfully underwent a hip replacement surgery on Monday. At 6:00 pm he was out of surgery and the doctors were pleased with the outcome. Please pray for his recovery and also for Carmen, as she tends to him. Thank you for taking time to pray for our brother! I also ask prayers for the pastor of my brother's church in Florida; his pastor and the pastor's wife both have contracted Covid-19, and both were vaccinated. Pray for their healing, and please heed the warning that the virus is still out there, and the variants of this disease can still infect the vaccinated. The pastor is Rev. Kevin Griffin. Please pray for your needs, for those of your neighbor, and for the needs of those close, and far, to you!

Heaven will hold a lot of answers, as Paul himself said, "For now we see in a mirror dimlly, but then face-to-face. Now I know in part; but then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood." (1 Cor 13:8) But, for now, the list we may have of things of which we hope to fully understand, grows. Among them, this passage! Paul writes of marvelous things, but the sort we cannot fully understand. Let's begin with "I know a person in Christ," many scholars have wondered just who he may have been referring to; and some scholars believe he is referring indeed to himself. And, he also says that this person "was caught up to the third heaven." Are there levels to heaven? Again, differing views about that too; with the most common agreement is that it is a reference only to the bliss that this man felt at being caught up in a supernatural experience where he "heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat;" meaning the sacredness of these things are just too holy to even be spoken. And this loftiness, while it has blessed him, also reminded him of his own weaknesses and realities. The loftiness of this experience also reminded him that he suffered a "thorn in the flesh" as a way to keep him grounded, and he blames Satan for using this as a way to torture him. The debates through the ages among scholars and theologians rage on as to what this thorn in the flesh really was. One say, it was a speech impediment which kept him from being a truly awesome orator. Other say it was a physical alilment that plagued his life. with epilepsy being the most suspected. Some references in the scripture indicate he had some facial motor challenges. And some even believe it was the constant challenge from his fellow Jews that served as his thorn in the flesh. Interesting to note, that this personally-selected servant of God, prayed three times to the Lord asking that he be freed of this thorn, but God answered, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." This says that everyone suffers, even the faithful, and even those they be faithful they can pray and still not get what they want but as God said, it is not because God is not with them, but that His grace is sufficient for us to see our way through whatever it may be that is our "thorn in the flesh." And it is not a sign of weakness, for God's power will still be dwelling in us. And as Paul declared, so can we, "Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong." That is faith.

You and I have known, thank God, people just like that; and many of us strive to be that person, amen? These were humble, sincere, though giants of faith, who even facing dire challenges, still smiled, prayed, worshipped and thanked God for everything. The presence and power of the Holy Spirit in them made life even positive and worth living while many others would have said quite the opposite. The only difference between them and many of us, is their walk with Jesus. They have learned the battles, the insults, the setacks, all attacks from the enemy, they're nothing compared to the power and victory that is theirs from the power and presence of our Lord in their lives. Paul himself wrote that these present sufferings are nothing compared to the coming glory which will be revealed to us." Some of these were in nursing homes, in simple homes, some in severe poverty, but all blessed and joyous in their faith and life. All had fufilled a dream shared with them by God for their lives, and by so doing blessed me, and many have blessed you. And speaking of dreams, I read a quote from Mark Wahlberg who said "God never give you a dream that matches your budget. He's not checking your bank account, he's checking your faith." May we have the faith to match the dream, and live and work as guided by Him to fulfill that dream; and share it with others.

PRAYERS: Awesome God, bless this dear reader in her/his life and all that they may be facing; grant to them a stronger faith and a willing spirit to go forward towards that which You have placed as the plan and purpose for their lives. May You be glorified as they seek to live out Your dream for them; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Help someone dream a dream of faith today!

Receive my blessings of joy and strength,

Pastor Eradio Valverde

http://teespring.com/go-and-be