Wednesday, September 08, 2021

It Is the Lord God Who Helps Us!

Image from africanparadiseworld.com

Listen to the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3ncVGQ8

4 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. 5 The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. 6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. 7 The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. 9 It is the Lord God who helps me (Isaiah 50:4-9a NRSV)

A blessed and wonderful Wednesday be yours, ConCafe Family. And may you find in God the help you need to face what you face. Dear Friend, shine brightly the light of Christ in all ways and places. We thank God for His faithfulness. I thank God for the late prayer request I placed in the Facebook posting of ConCafe, asking prayers for our grandson, Eli Ryan Muñoz, who was running high grade fevers. The fevers rose and fell. He finally had a chance to see his doctor on Tuesday afternoon at 5 pm and the doctor found he had a virus common among children. Please continue to pray for him. Please honor God by praying and listening to Him in all things. Pray for one another. Pray for yourselves.

I write two things in my daily planner always. They serve a deep purpose of reminding me who I am, and what I need to do. The first one is two words. Glorify God. That's a big statement in two words, but it is a strong reminder that everything I do, in writing, speaking, listening, and interacting, I am to say, think, write, speak, hear, and do all things that I can, to make God real and honored and praised. The second is a bit longer. I write, Pray and Listen. It was late in life and ministry that I realized I can be too busy sometimes and my prayers are not what they should be, and worst, my listening to God is not what it should be, but after all, I have shared an expectation with Him, I should at least listen to what God may be saying to me. I strive to be a servant in the employ of God. I am far from perfect, yet I know that God still loves me and gives me new opportunities each and every day in which I can be even better than today.

I do relate to the words of the prophet, Isaiah. He understood his difficult role in God's kingdom. His job was to teach those who were usually not willing to listen. I believe that in some people they carry the gene that dictates the urge to go to, but not listen to, whatever might be holy that might change their lives. And it's a gene that gets passed down until in one generation, in one individual, it suddenly, in some cases, or in others, a slow work of things, a light goes off in the heart or mind, and the person says, "Aha! Now I understand!" And the change happens, and being in holy places in no longer just a thing to do; it becomes a thing to be. And soon, this person might even be like the prophet who feels the need to "sustain the weary with a word." The pattern of this "new" person is to awaken with an eager listening ear to listen to what God may share with them, and in turn, share that word with others.

Isaiah admits that at some point he was not an eager listener, but the day came when God made him no longer rebellious, and began charting his/her course forward in God's direction. In fact, his entire perspective towards life changed; giving back to those who struck him, and even offering his cheeks to those who pulled his beard; and did not try to hide from those who insulted him and spat on him. And he knows the reason why; God was with him. And God being with us is more powerful than anything else. His faith was made strong and he looked forward to the future. He becomes one who fears nothing nor no one; God reigned supreme in his heart and would do all he could to make God more real to all. What caused this man's turnaround? Read the last verse again; "It is the Lord God who helps me." And is God who helps you in your struggles.

PRAYER: Loving Father, we trust You and we truly want to do our part in sharing You. Give us awakened ears and renewed hearts to praise and serve You. Give us the victory in all things, especially that which we face. Our illnesses, our weaknesses, our fears, our doubts; may they pale as our faith increases. This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! What will you write in your planner that blesses God and you?

Receive my blessings of hope and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde