Wednesday, February 21, 2024

The Promise of Faith

Image from shortpowerfulsermons.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3uuRb9W

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/42OnvBl

1 When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD appeared to Abram, and said to him, "I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless. 2 And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly." 3 Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him, 4 "Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be the father of a multitude of nations. 5 No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come forth from you. 7 And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you. 15 And God said to Abraham, "As for Sar'ai your wife, you shall not call her name Sar'ai, but Sarah shall be her name. 16 I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her; I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall come from her." (Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16 Revised Standard Version Bible)

God is so good. Yes, all the time. I am blessed by God's tender mercies, and I am way blessed more than I truly deserve, but that's what grace is all about. Since that moment when I put my faith in Jesus and asked Him to be in my heart as Lord and Savior, I have seen and done many things that never in my wildest dreams I would have thought possible for a boy from Kingsville, Texas. I have a woman for a wife that I never dreamed I'd have and she blessed us with four incredible, gorgeous babies, who in turn have blessed us with almost-seven grandchildren. And God has blessed me with you! My life has been the product of faith. I must add not a perfect faith on my part, but perfect on God's part!

Now, let's focus on Father Abraham. In our time, he would be a resident of Morningside Manor (or add your local nursing home/elderly care facility). You would think he'd be a pro at shuffleboard or dominoes and maybe even first in line for supper at 4 o'clock p.m. His wife Sarah, wears Eau de Ben-Gay, and has many "comadres" with whom she shares "the news" of other residents of the manor. The closest you would think she would get to a baby would be a great-granddaughter's baby shower. And you'd have to drag Father Abraham to such an event. But one thing the two have is a close personal relationship with God. The two have been asked by God to "walk before me," which is an invitation to a deeper, more intentional relationship with Him. God has also asked them to live lives of "blamelessness," not perfection, but surely an ongoing commitment to growth and integrity.

The two have undergone name-changes by the Lord God to reflect the change in role and responsibilities they will have. Abram has been called to change from "exalted father," to "father of a multitude," meaning that God was not through with him, so he needed to pack his bags and head from Morningside Manor to Methodist Hospital, where Sarai, now Sarah, would become not just "princess," but "princess of many." Her work was not yet done. The message from God transcends mere lineage; it signifies a spiritual lineage of those who, like Abraham and Sarah, embrace transformation and walk faithfully with God. It should remind us that the promises of God extend beyond our immediate lives, that will impact generations to come, which will leave a lasting legacy of faith.

This devotional isn't just about historical figures; it's a call to action. God invites each of us to walk before Him, seeking personal transformation and alignment with His purpose. Are we willing to embrace change, even when it's uncomfortable? Are we open to God renaming us, revealing hidden potential within us?

PRAYER: Loving God, as we reflect on the covenant with Abraham and Sarah, open our hearts to your transforming power. Help us shed old ways of thinking and embrace new beginnings. Grant us the courage to walk faithfully before you, trusting your promises even when we don't fully understand the journey. May we, like Abraham and Sarah, become instruments of your blessings, leaving a legacy of faith and hope for generations to come, this we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Allow God to reshape your life, one step at a time. Be open to new names, unexpected blessings, and the enduring covenant of love He offers to all who seek Him.

I love you and I thank God for you,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.