Monday, May 06, 2024

In The World But Not of the World

Image from grace-efca.org

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/4b1HkIz

View on YouTube: https://bit.ly/3JUeDRH

6 "I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; 8 for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. 11 And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. 15 I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. 16 They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. (John 17:6-19 NRSV Bible)

The world is a beautiful place to live. Some places more beautiful than others; some are awesome to some and not so much for others; all a matter of perspective. I love mesquite trees, palm trees, and cacti; all part of the roadside from Kingsville south to the border; others think it is awful. And as you can tell, I'm talking about the created order of earth. When it comes to people and how some act towards others, well, we can begin a long discussion on that, but we won't. We will talk about Jesus and how He saw the world. Jesus saw a beautiful world if it would but accept the presence and power of God in each life. For that reason we find Jesus praying fervently for his disciples. He acknowledges their belonging to God and the challenges they will face as they remain in the world. Jesus doesn't pray for their removal from the world but for their protection and sanctification within it. He understands that though they are in the world, they are not of the world.

As followers of Christ, we find ourselves in a similar tension. We live in the world, surrounded by its systems, values, and temptations, yet we are called to be distinct, guided by the truth of God's word. Just as Jesus prayed for his disciples, he intercedes for us today, knowing the struggles we encounter as we navigate life in this world.

The world may not always understand or accept us because we stand for truth and righteousness. But just as Jesus prayed for his disciples' protection from the evil one, we can trust that God is our ultimate safeguard. Through prayer, fellowship, and immersion in God's word, we find the strength to resist the allure of the world and live out our calling as children of God.

PRAYER: Loving God, we thank you for the assurance that we are not alone in this world. As we journey through life, facing its trials and temptations, we cling to the promise of your protection and guidance. Help us to remain steadfast in our faith, rooted in your truth, and empowered by your Spirit. Grant us the courage to live as lights in the darkness, reflecting your love and grace to those around us. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Stay grounded in prayer. Dedicate time to reading your Bible. Be mindful and respectful of values and influences around you, choosing to live in a way that honors God. Encourage others.

I love you and I thank God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.