Wednesday, October 09, 2024

The God in Silence

Image from ignitermedia.com

Hear the devo: https://bit.ly/3Njz5gM

View video: https://bit.ly/3NmY0zO

1 Then Job replied: 2 “Even today my complaint is bitter; his hand is heavy in spite of my groaning. 3 If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling! 4 I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. 5 I would find out what he would answer me, and consider what he would say to me. 6 Would he vigorously oppose me? No, he would not press charges against me. 7 There the upright can establish their innocence before him, and there I would be delivered forever from my judge. 8 “But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. 9 When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him. 16 God has made my heart faint; the Almighty has terrified me. 17 Yet I am not silenced by the darkness, by the thick darkness that covers my face. (Job 23:1-9, 16-17 The Message Bible)

Dear friends, a quick thank you for your prayers for my brother Ernest, who arrived safely into Jacksonville, Fl, this afternoon (Tuesday). We continue to pray for those in the hurricane's path.

Well, once again we visit our brother Job, whose life and experiences make us grateful for God's presence in our lives. For those not yet with us last week, we visited Job just as he lost everything in his life; children, livestock, properties. He did not lose his wife and she made a brief appearance when she suggested he could "curse God and die." Thank you, sweetie!

In today's passage, Job expresses his deep longing to encounter God, despite feeling abandoned and confused. He searches for God but cannot find Him, lamenting his suffering while asserting his integrity. Job’s heartfelt cry resonates with those of us who feel distanced from God during difficult times. How painful to exclaim, "Where does God live? I want to go knock on his door and sit down to ask what this is all about!" I've shared how a friend of mine whenever a painful event happened would say, "I'm adding it to my list!" and reflected how she was compiling a list that she was going to share with God about getting answers about all these events. I'm sure you and I have have similar "list

Job's experience reminds us that faith is often tested in silence. He seeks a meeting with God, desiring clarity and understanding. This yearning reflects our own struggles when we face life's hardships—times when God seems distant or unresponsive.

Job insists on his integrity, emphasizing that he has not turned away from God's commands. He stands firm in his faith, even when he feels enveloped by darkness. This illustrates a profound truth: our struggles do not define our relationship with God.

When we find ourselves in moments of despair, we might echo Job's plea. Yet, it’s crucial to remember that even in silence, God is present. Our unanswered questions do not diminish His sovereignty or His love for us.

As the passage closes, we see Job acknowledging that God’s strength sustains him, despite his circumstances. This brings us to an important reminder: God may not always respond in the way we expect, but He is actively working in our lives, even in the shadows.

PRAYER: Loving God, we come to You with our heavy hearts, just as Job did. In our moments of silence, help us to trust in Your presence and sovereignty. Grant us the strength to hold onto our integrity and faith, even when the path ahead feels uncertain. May we find comfort in knowing that You are with us, guiding us through every trial. Help us to seek You earnestly, and remind us that You hear our cries. Thank You for Your unwavering love and for the promise that we are never alone. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Why not take a moment today to reflect on your own struggles and the times you have felt God was silent. Write down your feelings, just as Job did. Then, consider how you can strengthen your relationship with God during these times. Perhaps you can commit to daily prayer or scripture reading, focusing on His promises of presence and support.

I love you and I thank God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.