Tuesday, November 30, 2004

How Is It With Your Spirit? What's cooler than bein' cool?

Good day dear friends. It's early on Tuesday and the rains are
pouring here in San Marcos yet again. I keep thinking some little
old man with a long beard, long flowing robes, and staff in hand
will come by the neighborhood asking for seven pairs of clean
animals, two pairs of unclean. He'll have no problem with finding
deer in this part of town.

Let's begin with prayer. Lord, thank you for today. How awesome it is to have this time to be with You in silence and meditation. You know my needs as I begin this time of study. So, You do the talking through Your Word and through what Your Spirit will share as I read these words. Make me truly be the person I need to be to more faithfully serve You. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

As we continue with the top ten list of directions for Christians
from Romans 12:11-14, we come to number two: How is it with your
spirit? Red-hot? Or Ice-Cold? Here is our study guide:

Tuesday: In the last book of the Bible we find the Book of
Revelation. Let's go to chapter 3:14-22. What can we read there
about having a spirit that is either red-hot or ice-cold. What is
worse than either of those? Read verse 16 again. What will the
Lord do to those who possess neither hot nor cold spirits?

From the NRSV: Rev. 3:14-22:
14 "And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The words of
the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the origin of God's
creation: 15 "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I
wish that you were either cold or hot. 16 So, because you are
lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my
mouth. 17 For you say, "I am rich, I have prospered, and I need
nothing.' You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor,
blind, and naked. 18 Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold
refined by fire so that you may be rich; and white robes to clothe
you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen; and
salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. 19 I reprove and
discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent. 20
Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice
and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you
with me. 21 To the one who conquers I will give a place with me on
my throne, just as I myself conquered and sat down with my Father on
his throne. 22 Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit
is saying to the churches."

This is the chapter best known for verse 20: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." That's in King James how I first learned it. Yet, the chapter begins with a somber note. Addressing the church in Laodicea, Jesus wants to know why the works of that church were the way they were. He says that he wishes our works were either cold or hot. Lukewarm is what he cannot stand and using graphic language shares the consequences of what happens to those works that are lukewarm. For today's title I couldn't help but quote a line from Outkast's hit, "Hey Ya." Outkast is a musical group. My daughters listen to them and as a consequence, so do I. But the line that I found funny was when they asked, "What's cooler than bein' cool?" The singer would ask that question and someone would answer back, "Ice cold!" And just in case we didn't hear it, he would say, "I can't hear ya" and ask the question again, and get the same answer.

While being "ice cold" is cooler than being cool in whatever sense or fashion for Outkast, for the things of the Lord, isn't "cool." In fact, it is a turn off. Not as bad as being lukewarm, but it is not where God would love to have us. I mentioned Sunday that one of the evangelism professors at Asbury-Orlando, loves to ask any student that he can, "How is it with your spirit?" I shared how I was, at our last board meeting, a recipient of that question as well. And it reminded me of John Wesley's weekly question to the early Methodists, "How is it with your soul?" What kind of accountability are you having with yourself? Are you in a reunion group or small group that allows you to reflect on your spirit? If not, you really should be. In a few hours I will be meeting with my Tuesday morning Emmaus reunion group and we'll ask those questions that call us to account for our spirits: What moment this past week did we feel closest to Christ? What was our call to discipleship? When did we feel we were being the "heartbeat of the church?" When did we deny our discipleship? Some weeks those are easy questions, others they're tougher.

I ask us again. How is it with our spirit? Are they easily dampened? (Rain keep you home on Sundays?) Or are you fired up for Christ?

PRAYER: Father, we thank you for all that comes our way that allows us to grow. Let me truly take a serious accounting of what is Yours for me today. Let my spirit be set on fire with love and passion for You and Your people. use me today, dear God. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Go out and be set on fire and let that fire be the light of the world for folks! You can even sing "This Little Light of Mine" again!

Have a blessed day!

e.v.