Monday, May 02, 2005

Encounters with Jesus in the Gospel of John: Light or Dark? Your choice

Yesterday we started a series on the Gospel of John. This is the gospel known as the spiritual gospel. John stresses the spiritual side of Jesus' ministry by drawing sharp contrasts between light and dark, and good and evil. In the first chapter he recaps God's creative and involved power in humanity and shares how Jesus' coming brought the fullness of light to the world. Jesus is the light of the world for Christians. Reread John 1:1-18 to see the verses covered in that first sermon. In these few introductory verses we see some of the sadness John feels for not all received Jesus, but joy in the fullness of life that is ours when we do receive.

Here is our study guide for today:

Monday: Read Psalm 18:18-28. Note the Psalmist’s love for God and how in that last verse gives God credit for the light in his life. How would you describe the brightness or dullness of light in your life? What is keeping your from receiving the fullness of God’s light into your life?

Here is the passage in NRSV:

18 They confronted me in the day of my calamity; but the LORD was my support. 19 He brought me out into a broad place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me. 20 The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands he recompensed me. 21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. 22 For all his ordinances were before me, and his statutes I did not put away from me. 23 I was blameless before him, and I kept myself from guilt. 24 Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight. 25 With the loyal you show yourself loyal; with the blameless you show yourself blameless; 26 with the pure you show yourself pure; and with the crooked you show yourself perverse. 27 For you deliver a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down. 28 It is you who light my lamp; the LORD, my God, lights up my darkness.

Here is The Message:

18 They hit me when I was down, but God stuck by me. 19 He stood me up on a wide-open field; I stood there saved - surprised to be loved! 20 God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him. When I got my act together, he gave me a fresh start. 21 Now I'm alert to God's ways; I don't take God for granted. 22 Every day I review the ways he works; I try not to miss a trick. 23 I feel put back together, and I'm watching my step. 24 God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes. 25 The good people taste your goodness, The whole people taste your health, 26 The true people taste your truth, The bad ones can't figure you out. 27 You take the side of the down-and-out, But the stuck-up you take down a peg. 28 Suddenly, God, you floodlight my life; I'm blazing with glory, God's glory!

This version sometimes hits the nail right on the head. It does today. The Psalmist is probably chuckling in this particular translation, but it's a good chuckle in that this version is in modern applicable language for most. It's almost as if the writer had been in church. I borrowed two HUGE lightbulbs from an electrician in the congregation. I had them in a box and I asked children who sit near the front row if they had a flashlight what kind of bulb would they need to replace it? I then pulled out the huge bulbs and asked if they would work. The eyes of most in the congregation got as large as the bulbs. These were from our stadium and folks realized the power of light John was trying to convey he felt through Jesus. Verse 28 above in The Message says it correctly, "Suddenly, God, you floodlight my life: I'm blazing with glory, God's glory!" Amen.

Such is the power of God to take us out of darkness and into the fullness of God's light. And the other illustration I used was when we travel and we find ourselves in a strange hotel room; I'm writing from one. In darkness as I don't want to wake the wife. But these bruises will heal nicely. To come into the knowledge of God's love through Christ for us is to take us into the fullness of light. No longer will we stumble along in life. Christ shows us the way. The better way to live.

What's holding you back? Do you not know Jesus as your Lord and Savior? Have you not entered into personal relationship with Him? It's life-changing and it's easy. Here's how: Simply pray a prayer of confession. Confess you are a sinner. You've lived a life that hasn't always been pleasing to God and now you realize wasn't really pleasing to you. Then invite Jesus to come into your heart as your Lord. He will. Ask Him to direct your life in ways that will blaze you with God's glory. He will.

PRAYER: Come, Lord Jesus, into those hearts inviting you in. Establish a loving relationship with us once again. Guide us to your glory. Let our very lives reflect we've been in Your presence. Let people be blessed by our lives. Let us bring others to this blessing. For we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

Have a great day! May it be filled with blessings! And greetings from Orlando where I'm attending the Asbury Theological Seminary board meeting.

e.v.