Saturday, June 17, 2006

FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND

Good day dear friends. A couple of days ago, I shared a prayer request from church members for a Becky Kinlund of here in SM, who had blood clots. I received an email that she did not make it. We pray for her family, loved ones, and friends during this time.

I thank the Lord for my wife's birthday today! And to all who along with Nellie celebrate June 17th as a birthday, Happy Birthday! My brother, Ernest had his on the 14th, he's Flag Day baby; my dad earlier on the 2nd. Feliz Dia.

I received this in a devotional email I receive, and I've shared it with some of you:

A Salute To Our Fathers

4 Years Old -My Daddy can do anything.
5 Years Old -My Daddy knows a whole lot.
6 Years Old -My Daddy is smarter than your Dad.
8 Years Old -My dad doesn't know exactly everything.
10 Years Old - In the olden days when my Dad grew up, things were
different.
12 Years Old - Oh well, naturally, Father doesn't know anything about
that. He is too old to remember his childhood.
14 Years Old - Don't pay any attention to my Father. He is so old
fashioned.
21 Years Old - Him? Lord, he's so hopelessly out of date.
25 Years Old - Dad knows a little about it, but then he should, because
he's been around so long.
30 Years Old - Maybe we should ask Dad what he thinks. After all, he's
had a lot of experience.
35 Years Old - I'm not going to do a single thing until I talk to Dad.
40 Years Old - I wonder how Dad would have handled it. He was so wise
and had a world of experience.
50 Years Old - I'd give anything if Dad were here now so I could talk
this over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate how smart he was.

Author Unknown

Boy, don't we all relate to that? I remember the playground arguments about what our dads could do, and who our dads were. Like the old story about dads, I could relate to the little boy who while in class, heard his friends talk about how rich, important, powerful, etc. their dads were, and looking at the front of the classroom where the dad had come in to talk to the teacher, the little boy said, "My dad is here!" I thank God for my dad being there. He set a model for me to follow and I've tried hard to be there for my daughters as well. I may not know everything, nor can I do the things I used to do; but I am still a man of love and care for them. I pray for them and I try to honor God for them.

Dads, it's your special day. I know, Hallmark and other cards love this day in terms of sales, but beyond the card or tie, or socks or shoes or whatever you may receive, receive a lesson about how special you can be, if you aren't already, to your children and to their mother.

May this day be a day of saying, "Thank you God for allowing me to be a Father. Help me to be more of an Abba, Daddy, to my kids.

PRAYER: Loving God we thank you for our dads. For those in Your presence, we honor their memory and know they've been blessed by You. For those still on the earth, may we rejoice together in life and love. May this be a time for reconciliation for all, we pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Have a great, safe, and blessed Father's Day weekend!

e.v.