Tuesday, May 20, 2008

TRADITIONS


Good day dear friends.

Today the daughter of Mary Borm undergoes surgery to repair a broken leg. Her name is Paula, but I don't know her last name (God does!), so please pray for Mary and Paula.
Please continue to pray for all pastors who are neck deep in boxes (or should be!) as they prepare to move. In our conference alone, we have something like 60 moves, so boxes are selling briskly (invest in boxes) and movers are salivating with excitement!

Here is our text for this morning:
13 You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the church of God and was trying to destroy it. 14 I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. 15 But when God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with any human being, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me, but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I returned to Damascus. 18 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days; 19 but I did not see any other apostle except James the Lord's brother. 20 In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie! 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia, 22 and I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea that are in Christ; 23 they only heard it said, "The one who formerly was persecuting us is now proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy." 24 And they glorified God because of me.

In case you've been keeping track, I've dedicated the last couple of devotionals to the letter of Paul to the church in Galatia. They were being misled by false teachings and Paul is angry and addressing their unfaithfulness by way of this letter. Today's part deals with Paul reminding them of just who he is, and how he came to be a Christian preacher after having been quite an infamous Jew. Paul shares how he advanced in Judaism even beyond those his own age and how he thought he was doing what God wanted, but realized he was simply concerned more about the "traditions of his ancenstors" than the things of God. God decided Paul needed to meet Jesus which he did and the rest was history.

New life comes when we put away rituals, traditions, routines, habits, playing church, and the like, and surrender ourselves to Jesus. Jesus came to offer new life, in fact, life in the fullest, and that is what Paul is wanting the believers in Galatia to embrace. What are you willing to surrender for the sake of your life?

PRAYER: Loving God we do thank you for rich histories and traditions and those things that bring some meaning to our lives, but today I seek Jesus and the things that are Yours to bring me into life and life's full meaning and purpose. I ask this as I surrender my very self to You, in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great day in the Lord!

e.v.