Friday, June 26, 2009

...BUT A MIST


God of comfort and peace, rain down comfort, peace, strength and joy to this dear reader; in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

"What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wishes, we will live and do this or that." (James 4:14-15).

Our nation is reeling from three significant deaths. The first was that of Ed McMahon, a familiar face and voice that for many years was part of a team that put the nation to sleep. I am old enough to have seen Jack Paar host The Tonight Show and I remember when Johnny Carson took over. A lot of Johnny's success was that he had as his partner and trusted sidekick, Mr. Ed McMahon. The second death was one of a Texas girl, who became the world's girl through her fame and beauty. I have to confess that of the "Angels," she was not my favorite. Farrah Fawcett died of cancer. I remember one interview her saying she did not want to die. The third overshadowed the first two, that sudden and unexpected death of Michael Jackson. The latter two prompted one of my daughters to call yesterday, the first closer to lunchtime to say that Farrah had died. Later she called to say Michael had died. Of the two calls I didn't believe the second. She quoted her source and said that CNN had not yet announced his death. We conversed about this source's claim that Fidel Castro was dead some months ago. Nellie and I returned home and watched different networks to see which one would announce that Michael Jackson, the perpetual boy, had indeed died. It was the LA Times that said it first, CBS News followed, finally CNN went from saying he was in a coma to "sources have confirmed that Michael Jackson is dead."

We pray for the families and loved ones of those three, along with others who have lost loved ones whose deaths do not merit banners or headlines in any major or even minor news outlets. Their loss and pain is just as great and significant. May God comfort them. Of the three we heard of personal struggles and losses, of moral and financial challenges, and we pray we can learn from those, asking that God help us not judge but pray.

James said it best, we leave our lives to God to bless us each day according to His plan and purpose. We remember that God created us, and if we let Him, we are His.

PRAYER: Loving God, I affirm that I am Yours. I surrender myself and my will to You. I ask Your presence, peace and comfort in the lives of all who have lost loved ones during these days. May Your mercy and peace be with them. Help me to live a life that affirms that You are with me, and that You are guiding me. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde