Monday, September 28, 2009

24 THE GOSPEL OF PAUL: OURS FOR THE ASKING


Gracious God of all days, be with the needs of this dear reader in all they may face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Last night's watching of 60 Minutes intrigued me about a movie called "Nursery University," all about what parents have to do to get their infants into the "right" nursery. The show's story was precisely that as well, and they showed little "preppie" (is that still a word?) dressed infants awaiting the start of school. These were the fortunate ones, whose parents had fought phone-ins, interviews, selection processes, etc. and could afford (gulp!) the tuition at that one school of $18,000 to $30,000 a year. The reporter on that segment said, "That's more than I paid for college!" The one school mentioned by name was started by the director's grandfather and he would wait by the phone for it to ring with the interest of parents. Now they get 150 applicants for the 20 slots open each year. One hundred thirty kids get turned away. It's definitely not theirs for the asking.

Paul contends with his heart and his people in the verses for today, Romans 9:30-10:9:

30 What then are we to say? Gentiles, who did not strive for righteousness, have attained it, that is, righteousness through faith; 31 but Israel, who did strive for the righteousness that is based on the law, did not succeed in fulfilling that law. 32 Why not? Because they did not strive for it on the basis of faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33 as it is written, "See, I am laying in Zion a stone that will make people stumble, a rock that will make them fall, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." 10:1 Brothers and sisters, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. 2 I can testify that they have a zeal for God, but it is not enlightened. 3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they have not submitted to God's righteousness. 4 For Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes. 5 Moses writes concerning the righteousness that comes from the law, that "the person who does these things will live by them." 6 But the righteousness that comes from faith says, "Do not say in your heart, "Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 "or "Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, on your lips and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Paul's understanding was that the Gentiles received the greatest gift the world has ever known, and they weren't even looking for it during their history. On the other hand, the Jews, who had and are still seeking, rejected that same gift. The Jews, like some others, were not looking only based on faith, but on what works, signs or wonders, this Messiah might perform to convince them. This Paul says, is the stumbling block, as his scripture called it. Yet his heart's desire is for his people to find Jesus so that they might be saved. He admits the Jews fervor for God is not enlightened; it's misguided and basically self-centered. If they (and us) were to ask the right questions, such as the ones he shares, they would come to that enlightenment and discover Christ and be saved. Read especially verse 9 which still holds true for every person in the world regardless of birth, "if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Our sermon yesterday was on Jehovah Yasha, Jehovah Savior and we preached on being saved. I related the story of an ill-fated canoe trip with my best friend, and how I almost drowned. Had my friend not pulled me from that raging river I would have died. In the same way, whatever "river" of sin, destruction, addiction, bad habits, fear, doubt, etc. we find ourselves in, through our confession (our asking) of Jesus as OUR Lord and belief in our hear that God indeed raised him from the dead, we will be saved. Saved from certain death and a certain eternal separation from God. The Psalmist had echoed this many centuried before in Psalm 103:3ff (The Message):

3 He forgives your sins - every one. He heals your diseases - every one. 4 He redeems you from hell - saves your life! He crowns you with love and mercy - a paradise crown. 5 He wraps you in goodness - beauty eternal. He renews your youth - you're always young in his presence. 6 God makes everything come out right; he puts victims back on their feet.

PRAYER: Loving God, forgive me of my sins and pull me out of the river in which I find myself drowning. I confess I have made wrong choices and decisions for my life and I need Your help in getting pulled out. Put me on the banks of life, restore me to wholeness and healing. Place on me a "paradise crown" and wrap me in goodness. May each day in Your presence renew me to youthful feeling and attitudes towards You and Yours. I pray this in Christ Jesus' powerful and precious Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde