Sunday, October 18, 2009

THE REVEREND JOSE A. GALINDO

The Rev. Jose A. Galindo died yesterday morning at about 4:30 from an apparent heart attack. It seemed to be incredible news for I always held him as a man bigger than life. The Rev. Jose A. Galindo held and will always hold a very special place in my heart for all that he gave of himself to me and my life and ministry. I came to know him when I was assigned to do an internship at El Mesias United Methodist Church in Mission. I had requested to study there because of the dynamic preacher EL Mesias had in The Rev. Francisco Gaytan. Rev. Gaytan was and is, as some say, "a prince of the pulpit." I met with Pancho and we made the arrangments for my coming to serve there so that my preaching could improve. Just months before my arrival I get a phone call from Pancho saying the now cliche, "I've got good news and bad news; which do you want to hear first?" The good news, for him, was that he was made district superintendent of the Southern District, based in McAllen, Texas, right next door to Mission. The bad news was that I would not get to study under him. He and the Rev. Galindo were swapping places. I did not know Jose, I had only seen him and maybe said a hello to him. He had been a DS while I entered the process and finished my first ordination, and had not had direct contact with him. I prayed for the best. And the best it was as God always provides. I believe I saw both Jose and Pancho almost as much time had I served only under Pancho. But it was those quiet times with Jose that I came to know myself and my calling and my ministry better. I have to admit that I came to the internship with major doubts about my ability to serve as a pastor and a preacher. At one point where I was quite honestly ready to quit everything and head home, it was that God led "Brother Galindo" as I and many affectionately knew him, to tell me, "You got it. You have what it takes to be a minister." How did he know I needed to hear that? Then, as if coached by him, his sons, Joe and Jody with whom I have been close since those years also said the same to me. Brother Galindo and I weathered a hurricane together, opening El Mesias as a Red Cross shelter and weathered other storms not of nature's hand, but in all I saw God at work in this incredible man.

What has blessed my life since then was that he introduced me to Nellie almost as soon as I arrived in Mission. I saw Nellie at a prayer meeting my first night there and the next day Jose began to tout her character and attributes. He said, "She'd be the perfect minister's wife- she's a woman of prayer and she's a tither." Nuff said! He even said I should call her when he saw I was reluctant, and looked up and dialed, yes, rotary dial phones in our offices, her number for me. Nellie and I talked for one hour that first conversation, and it was the first of now almost thirty-two years of conversation. Thank God most of them are not by phone. He performed our marriage some months later, and he even bought our wedding cake in our budget wedding. Two years later he baptized Nellie Maria, our firstborn there at El Mesias. He stayed a major influence and supporter of my calling and ministry for all these years.

Brother Galindo had been ill and a shutin for some years, after a long and faithful service to God as a minister in the Rio Grande Conference. He served as the Executive Director of Border Ministries, senior pastor of El Mesias UMC in Mission, District Superintendent of the Southern District, and several other appointments.

Rev. Galindo served Port Arthur, TX where he secured a second Master's degree in History while serving the RGC church there. He is survived by his wife of many years, Berta, and three sons, Joe, Jody, and Jay, and their wives and children.

He shared too many wonderful things with me and so many that we could not cover them in this prayer request. Simply join me in giving thanks for this wonderful man and his precious and powerful life. May God comfort his family and those who knew and loved him.

A prayer service will be held tonight at El Mesias UMC in Mission, 209 E. 6th Street; and his funeral will be tomorrow at 10 a.m. I mourn the loss as well as my inability to be with them during my time here in California.

Blessings,

e.v.