Wednesday, December 07, 2011

You Packed Yet?

Great indeed, is Thy faithfulness, O God. May it be so for this dear reader today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Isaiah 61: 1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted , to proclaim liberty to the captives , and the opening of the prison to them that are bound ; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; 3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified . 4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations , and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. 8 For I the LORD love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. 9 And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed . 10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels. 11 For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth ; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations. (KJV-400th)

It seems like every other week Nellie and I pack for a trip. We ask each other or ourselves, How many days? What's the occasion? ("Are we going to church?") What will the weather be like? And once we're comfortable with our answers, we pack. Advent is a time of packing and unpacking as well. We should pack that which will bless God and our journey with God, and unpack that which weighs us down and serves us no purpose. The prophet wrote of that which God had shared with him; the needed things that should be proclaimed among God's people: God's Spirit was active and among them; Glad tidings (Good News) was being shared; Brokenhearts would be mended; Captives would be set free; prison doors would fling open and the declaration that this was the acceptable year of the Lord. This message would be later read in worship, where a young carpenter would declare that this passage was about Himself. That which the prophet prepared became that necessary part of the Messiah's journey among us.

Christ's first visit should still be an occasion of great celebration, much like a wedding where every person is truly happy and hope for a new family is felt among all those present. Have we unpacked our thoughts and lives to feel that about Jesus having come 2,000 years ago? If not, it's not too late to do that now.

PRAYER: Loving God, for Jesus' first visit I am truly happy and blessed. May I live my life in a joyous way that says to others that I am awaiting with hope His next arrival. May my journey be with You be filled with joy and hope. I pray this in Christ's name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde