Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Abide in Jesus!

Good day dear friends. This morning's prayer for General Conference is posted at http://50daysprayer.blogspot.com/2012/05/take-heart-be-not-afraid.html.

Our gospel text for this coming Sunday is found in John 15: 1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. 3 You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. (NRSV)

This very powerful and moving statement comes after the chapter in which Jesus had shared with His disciples that He was going to be taken from them. John 14 was the subject of a devotional yesterday that spoke of something leading universities had some time ago called "the infidel club," where skeptics of God would gather to read and tear apart scripture. It is said that one night one club gathered to discuss John 14. The leader began to read the passage and soon one of the students exclaimed, "That is wonderful!" Another soon said, "That is beautiful," and soon a third, "That is grand!" As the Holy Spirit moved among that group, even the leader had to exclaim that the "Book was divine." Add to it this passage that speaks of Jesus' desire to have us "abide" in Him. The illustration is that Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. That connectedness is what brings us blessings and results in our Christian lives. If we try to cut that relationship, we find that most times we fail or we can do nothing. But it is in the connectedness, in the fullness of that relationship that we can have fruit and be known as disciples.

To abide means to dwell in or with. The invitation from Jesus is to stay with Him on a daily basis. To live with Jesus means to walk with Jesus; to walk with Jesus means to know Jesus and act as Jesus. To abide with Jesus means to reach out in love to others, just like Jesus. We've said many times to friends or maybe just to each other, that some married couples after living together for some years begin to look alike. Could that be said of you and Jesus?

PRAYER: Loving Jesus, abide in me and let me abide in You. Help my actions and life reflect Your presence in a way that blesses You and Yours; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde