Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Sadness of No Faith

What do you do if you're expecting grapes and get wild grapes?

From Isaiah 5: 1 Let me sing for my beloved my love-song concerning his vineyard: My beloved had a vineyard on a very fertile hill. 2 He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a watchtower in the midst of it, and hewed out a wine vat in it; he expected it to yield grapes, but it yielded wild grapes. 3 And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem and people of Judah, judge between me and my vineyard. 4 What more was there to do for my vineyard that I have not done in it? When I expected it to yield grapes, why did it yield wild grapes? 5 And now I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard. I will remove its hedge, and it shall be devoured; I will break down its wall, and it shall be trampled down. 6 I will make it a waste; it shall not be pruned or hoed, and it shall be overgrown with briers and thorns; I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it. 7For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts is the house of Israel, and the people of Judah are his pleasant planting; he expected justice, but saw bloodshed; righteousness, but heard a cry!

Whatever the opposite of a "green thumb" is what I have. My history as a grower is a sad one. The only thing I once grew was a single watermelon from seeds after eating a slice in my backyard as a boy. I wish I could say it weighed what a normal watermelon should weigh; it did not. After marriage, Nellie finally bought me a cloth cactus for my office. It requires no water, no sunlight, no care at all. It collects dust quite nicely so it does require a dusting once in a while. God planted a vineyard expecting grapes. I don't know about you, but I live in a household that loves grapes. We currently house a champion at grape-eating, our grandson, Liam. He's a master at all things video, especially games and last night he was frustrated at grandpa for not being able to keep up with him at a Legos game. Liam is four. But in the midst of that his mom places a bowl of grapes near him and he still embarrasses grandpa at this game while eating grapes. Grapes are good. But what God received were wild grapes. Not what he wanted.

The story is a call back to faith and the action God was going to take with the people who had let him down. The story tells of a vineyard sitting on very fertile ground, a hill in fact, for added protection. The vineyard has a watchtower and stone hewn vat. It was even planted with choice vines; yet it produced wild grapes. The story tells the truth of a blessed and protected people set to produce a nation of faithful believers and even believers from the neighboring countries, but the result is that the neighbors had more influence on them and the choice grapes God expected turned out to be sour and good for nothing. This happens in individuals and churches even today. From fertile and rich soil of a history of faith and service, some children or grandchildren choose not to believe. From a setting where hope should be shared with the neighbors, despair and doubt are shared with those within the bounds of "faith." What's God to do?

In this story God states plainly a prophetic word towards Jerusalem and Judah; "I will make it a waste...I will command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it." (v. 6). What God expected is stated next; justice but instead saw bloodshed; righteousness, but instead heard cries. Faith, but instead no faith. Joy, instead sadness. Where there is no faith, sadness is close by, as is hopelessness and doubt. Let it not be so in our lives, in our churches, and in our homes.

PRAYER: Loving God, may it not be so for my life and the lives of those around me. Let me shine brightly the life that produces justice and righteousness, hope and love, joy and blessing. May Your word about me be a positive word. This I ask in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde