Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Praying for Everyone

Pray. Just Pray. For Everyone!

From 1 Timothy 2: 1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God; there is also one mediator between God and humankind, Christ Jesus, himself human, 6 who gave himself a ransom for all —this was attested at the right time. 7 For this I was appointed a herald and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

In my charge conferences I have stressed spending more time in prayer. I believe we miss out when we don't re-claim the power of prayer for our lives. I compare the time we spend with our smartphones and tablets with time we used to spend in prayer. One woman, after one charge conference said, "I used to hate all that Facebook thing, and then I decided to join it to see what it's all about, and now I find I am praying more than I ever did with all of the prayer requests I see my friends posting." Good point.

In this passage, Paul is urging prayer of all kinds, "supplications, prayer, intercessions, and thanksgiving" be used "for everyone." He then urges prayers to be lifted up "for kings and all who are in high positions," his ultimate goal of prayer is for believers to lead quiet and peaceful lives in "godliness and dignity." A leader prayed for, is a leader blessed. A blessed leader blesses his or her realm of authority, and this Paul believed is in line with God our Savior. God's desire is for all people to come to know Him and to have a loving and trusting relationship with Him. And our belief is that there is only one God and only one mediator between God and humankind and that is Christ Jesus, who Himself was fully human and understands our situation. Christ Jesus also gave Himself as a ransom for us all, and for that reason Paul, like us, gave himself totally to the work of sharing the good news with all.

The foundation of a strong faith is prayer. The prayers of faith for faithfulness will lead us to fruitfulness. Notice again, Paul stresses prayers of all kinds, not one particular way to pray. There is no correct posture; it's all good, if we pray.

Pray! Pray for all people.

Start now.

PRAYER: Loving God, let my life be one of prayer. Help me and guide me to faithfulness in my prayer life. Help me to remember all people especially those in authority, that their lives be blessed in ways that lead to good decisions for the good of all. Help me to share that which was shared with me, so that more may come to know You. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde