Friday, January 24, 2014

No Fear Living in Light

Image from http://tharderdesign.blogspot.com

Wonderful God-promises for our lives

From Psalm 27: 1 Light, space, zest - that's God! So, with him on my side I'm fearless, afraid of no one and nothing.2 When vandal hordes ride down ready to eat me alive, Those bullies and toughs fall flat on their faces. 3 When besieged, I'm calm as a baby. When all hell breaks loose, I'm collected and cool. 4I'm asking God for one thing, only one thing: To live with him in his house my whole life long. I'll contemplate his beauty; I'll study at his feet. 5 That's the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world, The perfect getaway, far from the buzz of traffic. 6 God holds me head and shoulders above all who try to pull me down. I'm headed for his place to offer anthems that will raise the roof! Already I'm singing God-songs; I'm making music to God. 7 Listen, God, I'm calling at the top of my lungs: "Be good to me! Answer me!" 8 When my heart whispered, "Seek God," my whole being replied, "I'm seeking him!" 9 Don't hide from me now! You've always been right there for me; don't turn your back on me now. Don't throw me out, don't abandon me; you've always kept the door open. 10 My father and mother walked out and left me, but God took me in. 11 Point me down your highway, God; direct me along a well-lighted street; show my enemies whose side you're on. 12 Don't throw me to the dogs, those liars who are out to get me, filling the air with their threats. 13 I'm sure now I'll see God's goodness in the exuberant earth. 14 Stay with God! Take heart. Don't quit. I'll say it again: Stay with God. (The Message Version)

How many would confess they're afraid of the dark? Can you see my hand up? Okay, I'm older now and not that much afraid of the dark and things that go bump in the night, but I remember the first night I had to enter into my new office at the Campus Ministry Center in Edinburg, Texas, just off the campus of then Pan American University (now UTPA). The building was owned, built and designed by the Catholic Diocese of Brownsville. Parking was limited and staff had reserved spaces behind the building. The rear entrance to the building from the parking lot led you inside to a great hall. The designer in his/her great wisdom had placed the only light switches guess where? Yes, near the front entrance to the building. We're talking pre-iPhone flashlight or any cell-phone light. We were talking about the darkest building I'd ever seen. No windows in that hall. And the hall could be divided into three large sized classrooms. During the day if you placed towels on the bottom of the classroom doors you would have cave darkness and you could change light-sensitive film (remember film for cameras?) in there. The palmist would not know what I'm talking about and would laugh at me for sharing the above, but he knew spiritual darkness and walked through it with God's help. This 27th Psalm is a song of victory over darkness thanks to the light of God. Having experienced dangers of all kinds throughout his life, David knew the strength of God. Verse 4 sums up his faith and hope: I'm asking God for one thing, only one thing: To live with Him in His house my whole life long. I'll contemplate His beauty; I'll study at His feet. That's the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world, The perfect getaway far from the buzz of traffic."

The attitude and outlook of David is ours as well. He believed God can hold us high above those things or those people who try to pull us down. And it all comes through our relationship with God, talking and listening to Him. It's funny to imagine David even in Hebrew talking in this way this version shares, but don't you love the imagine of this Hebrew King shouting at the top of his lungs: "Be good to me! Answer me!" all the while seeking God. The psalmist wants to walk the way of the Lord "along a well-lighted street" with the confidence that tells others, "I'm walking with God!"

Our task? Stay with God! Don't give up hope, never seek to resign yourself away from God, and as David says, I say also: Stay with God.

PRAYER: Loving God, I seek to stay with You. Guide me in Your light. May the darkness of doubt and fear and all things negative flee when You and I walk near them. And may You and I share in the victory over them. This I pray and this I need, through Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

PS Dear friends, I ask a special prayer for Mrs. Katy Gomez, wife of Rev. Isabel Gomez, a retired pastor and friend of ours. He and Katy live in Dallas and Katy yesterday entered hospice care. I also ask for my father, Eradio, Sr., who is having an exam today to study the circulation in his legs. If circulation is a problem he might have to face amputation of his legs which will be a terrible blow to him and us. Please pray God's will be done, but that healing might be possible and that God's strength support us and all who face worries today. Blessings and thank you.