Monday, June 30, 2014

Come Unto Me All Who Are Heavy Laden

Image from agnusday.org

And I Will Give You Rest

From the New King James Version of Matthew 11: 16-19; 25-30: But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions, and saying: 'We played the flute for you, And you did not dance; We mourned to you, And you did not lament.' For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' But wisdom is justified by her children." At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Jesus compared the generation of people for whom He came as a generation much like marketplace children. While their parents tended their shops or while they shopped, the kids would taunt other kids. The saying Jesus uses is one to tease those who were not aware of much, children who did not know what to do or how to react. The ministries of John the Baptist and Jesus were not understood and many did not know what to do or how to react. The taunts were a bit harsher with accusations running from demon possession to drunkenness and influence by bad company. But the truth was, Jesus say, that God was revealing to "babes" the things of God's Kingdom among them. Those whom the world believed had no clue, indeed had the keys to the kingdom. Those who were "heavy laden" would find in Jesus' message and teachings, "rest." Being yoked to Jesus would mean having an understanding no one else would; and a rest for souls that the world could not match.

Nellie and I were reflecting on the impact God is already having on our grandson Liam's life at this point. While his mom works on Sunday, Liam usually ends up making long trips with grandma and grandpa, usually to things he would not normally choose. Yesterday was such a day. We worshipped here in Corpus Christi, then we felt led to take a nursing student to lunch. We then drove to Cuero, Texas, for a five o'clock dedication service of their new organ and we sang and sang. We sang what I called the "newer Doxology" that has in it several "Alleluias," and we heard a community choir sing the Hallelujah Chorus. As we left the church he could not stop singing "Alleluia, Alleluia," and even asked if I had in my iPod "that church song with the alleluia?" I do have the Hallelujah Chorus and played it several times on our way to Beeville where we greeted the young workers of the UM Army in town to do repair work on several homes. His singing of alleluia I believe, is rest for his young soul. He's being exposed to worship experiences that others are not. My prayer is that his soul never depart from that understanding and relationship that he has or will have with Christ Jesus as Lord and Savior. In Christ we find rest for our souls; an understanding and acceptance that the world cannot and tries not to match. In Christ there is a pace and a peace that everyone needs and should have. And guess what? It's ours for the asking.

PRAYER: Lord, the demands of life on my soul can be taxing at times, but I thank You that in You I can find the pace and the peace that I need. Help me to receive it, and more importantly, help me to share it. This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde