Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pastor's Appreciation

Are you easily discouraged?

From 1 Thessalonians 2:1-8: 1 You yourselves know, brothers and sisters, that our coming to you was not in vain, 2 but though we had already suffered and been shamefully mistreated at Philippi, as you know, we had courage in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in spite of great opposition. 3 For our appeal does not spring from deceit or impure motives or trickery, 4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the message of the gospel, even so we speak, not to please mortals, but to please God who tests our hearts. 5 As you know and as God is our witness, we never came with words of flattery or with a pretext for greed; 6 nor did we seek praise from mortals, whether from you or from others, 7 though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, like a nurse tenderly caring for her own children. 8 So deeply do we care for you that we are determined to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you have become very dear to us.

I returned home last night from a wonderful time with pastors from the Río Grande Conference at their annual Pastoral Convocation. It was a small group, but very Spirit-filled. As I drove there my prayer was that if I could be a blessing to someone, for God to please use me. And even if it were me going for the blessing, I was excited. The youngest pastor there on the second morning asked me an important question about staying encouraged in ministry. I responded honestly and said that I suffered from discouragement as easily as anyone else, and it was God who strengthened me and kept me going. I went in to some detail, but the point of Paul's words in this passage is about encouragement and pressing on. Paul is the model for pastoral ministry; he suffered and endured much, but on he went with an urgency of sharing Christ with all who would listen. Reread verse two, suffering and shameful mistreatment are mentioned as is "courage in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in spite of great opposition." All with Paul's desire to please God with the honest message of getting right with God. I more fully understand the passage in verse 7, having a nurse living with us, "like a nurse tenderly caring for her own children." And he continues how he wishes to share not only the gospel but himself because they matter to him.

October is Pastor Appreciation Month. A month set aside to ask churches, parishioners, and all who would, to show some appreciation to their pastors. As a superintendent I encourage that for my pastors for I have been in those churches that show no appreciation as well as those who show much appreciation and love. Yes, my calling does not depend on whether I am appreciated or not, but it sure does help when a small kindness is shown that says that my work among people is appreciated. But, like Paul, I minister to please God, and appreciation from church folks or not, my work is still ever before me. I meet with pastors at the point of giving up. I meet with pastors who are raring to minister and are doing great things. No part of ministry, when done to please God and share God's love, is ever in vain. But prayer for, respect for, and laboring with, your pastors makes the journey for all, a much better one to travel.

If you've not yet shown some love for your pastor, please do. Start by praying for him or her. Write him a line or two of appreciation on a card or a note. The results will be wonderful.

PRAYER: God of our call, call our hearts to love one another, especially those who labor among us to please You. May your protection and blessing be with all pastors, and all who minister for You. Let our appreciation for them reflect the love and appreciation we have for You. Forgive us for those times when we have not shown love. This we pray in the name of Jesus our Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde