Monday, November 17, 2014

This is Serious, Y'all!

Image from textweek.com

Christ is Coming; Be Busy!

From Matthew 25:31-46: "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' Then he will say to those at his left hand, "You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' Then he will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

I do not like movies where children die. I do not like reading books where children die. And I especially do not like news reports where children die. Imaging God's heart on seeing the same thing from His throne in Heaven. And God sees not just the death of children, but the slow death of people of all ages, from hunger, disease, nakedness, loneliness, friendlessness, and thirst. So the message from His Son, Jesus Christ to us in this passage is serious, y'all. We, you and me, through our churches, and our nation, and especially ourselves, have a life-saving, life-affirming responsibility to care for one another, especially those in need. It is interesting to note that this powerful message comes after the disciples ask about His return to earth. Jesus' message is simply this: be ready, but be working in the meantime, for there is much to do.

At the time of this writing, there are only nine days before most of us will sit down to the greatest meal we have in our year. Most Thanksgiving tables at which I have sat, both mine and others, have been laden with food; more food than we can consume in one sitting. There is, if grandmas and moms of college students home for the holiday have anything to do with the choices, foods of all kinds. Not just the roasted or fried turkey, but the dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, casseroles of all kinds, and the list goes on and on. On the dessert table; okay, I'll stop. I'm hungry, too. Yet, our hearts and minds should be attuned to those who have nothing; who, if they wander into a place that feeds the hungry, get a similar meal; but do not enjoy the setting of family and love. Yes, even those in homes of family may feel some loneliness or experience tensions of past hurts and pains; but the message should be clear: Do for one another as God has done for us.

Feed the hungry. Quench the thirst of the thirsty. Welcome the stranger. Clothe the naked (and Christ did not mean, at low prices in a rummage or church garage sale!). Care for the sick. Visit the prisons. This was a partial list of all that is needed even today. And, Jesus said, when you do this for the "least of these, you did it for me." By the same token, if we neglect to do that, we are neglecting Christ. The rewards are there because they are real in my opinion. Heaven is as real as hell; and it will be us who decide in which we will reside.

Choose to share life, and you will enjoy the fullness of life here, and when it is time to return home; there with God.

PRAYER: Loving God, prepare our hearts, minds, spirits, and hands to care for one another. Help us to be all about being YOU in the midst of those who do not yet know You. Give us courage, boldness and vision, to do Your will. This, we pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde