Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Walk Blameless before God

Image from imgkid.com

God bless us with every new step to be a blameless one.

From Genesis 17:1-7; 15-16: When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said to him, "I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless. And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will make you exceedingly numerous." Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him, "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You shall be the ancestor of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the ancestor of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you. I will establish my covenant between me and you, and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you. God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall give rise to nations; kings of peoples shall come from her."

Rev. Charles Allen, the late pastor for First UMC in Houston, used to say, "Old age has a way of boiling away who you pretend to be, to who you really are." And he would share examples that we've seen as well; some old people become the sweetest, most loving people you ever hope to meet, and some become bitter, angry persons who hate everyone, especially themselves. This passage speaks to the need of all people to start early with walking blameless before God so that as the years peel away our facades we will be exposed as people of love. The blessings will be countless! Father Abraham, in this passage, is called by God to walk before God in a blameless way, and God promises a covenant to him. And with that covenant a promise of great blessings. And a name change. From a name meaning "exalted father" to "the father of multitudes." And keep in mind his age; Father Abraham is 99 years young.

So, it matters not how old or young you are, God wants us to walk with Him. He wants us to love Him and His in a way that blesses Him and blesses us. To walk blameless is to love God and please God. It means to put others before ourselves and to care and love one another.

Ready to take that first blameless step? God is! And blessings will be ours!

PRAYER: Loving God, let me walk blameless before You today and all days. I do it just for loving You, but I know great blessings will be mine as I care for You and Yours. This I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde