Thursday, April 16, 2015

How Do You Sleep at Night?

Master Davis J. Barnett of Kerrville, Texas

Psalm 4 Answer me when I call, O God of my right! You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer. How long, you people, shall my honor suffer shame? How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies? (Selah) But know that the Lord has set apart the faithful for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him. When you are disturbed, do not sin; ponder it on your beds, and be silent. (Selah) Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord. There are many who say, "O that we might see some good! Let the light of your face shine on us, O Lord!" You have put gladness in my heart more than when their grain and wine abound. I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O Lord, make me lie down in safety.

Back in July I wrote, "Sleep is the most purposeful of all vices." It reflects a running dialogue with myself and sleep. At times I am like my grandchildren and don't like the idea of sleep; there's too much to do and so much fun to be had - sleeping just might get in the way! Other times I cannot fight staying away or keeping sleep at bay; I just surrender and close my eyes and I am out. The older I get the more that becomes the reality. But I love sleep and I love waking up. I have also discovered that many, while living a life filled with secrets and sins, have trouble sleeping. Nightmares and troubled dreams will fill the soul during the day and come out to play at night, making for a terrible sleep. The psalmist knew God well enough to know the secret to a good night's sleep: Talk to God, enter into God's presence, especially when you're in distress; talk to God some more, receive God's grace; don't be influenced by those not living right, and seek faithfulness as your daily goal. Then seek to live a life that gives away the good you have received from God, for God has filled your heart with joy and gladness and joy and gladness is what you will share. Then, as the psalmist says, "(You) will both lie down and sleep in peace; for You (God) alone, make me lie down in safety."

PRAYER: Loving God guide me to that place where joy and gladness fill my heart, and then let it flow out freely to all. This I pray in Christ Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde