Monday, May 11, 2015

Not Being Lost in the World

The Confirmation Class of 2015 from St. Luke's UMC in Corpus Christi, with Pastor Paul and Mrs. Tess Allan, and yours truly, in front of the Welcome Center of FUMC-Beeville. This was the largest group present at our Confirmation Rally.

John 17:6-19 "I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

Some years ago, our firstborn worked for Texas Lutheran University and was on the road a lot. One early morning found her in the state's largest city and she was lost. She called me and asked if I was on the computer and needed help in getting to her first appointment of the day. Being from Houston I know some of Houston; there are some parts I don't know and may never know. However, the Internet and computers have come a long way since then and we also now have GPS apps for our phones and some cars come equipped with those; and she who was temporarily lost became found. Being lost in a big city can be a bit scary; but being lost from God is even scarier. This passage shares with us one of Jesus' prayers for us. One of the key elements of this prayer is our protection and our relationship with God; Jesus does not want any of us lost. Jesus also wants us to remember that we are His, and He wants the best for and from us.

I can think of no better way to start the work week than having read and having been reassured of Whose we are. No obstacle, no challenge, no bump in the road we encounter this week can beat this precious and powerful message. Live your life in that faith.

PRAYER: Loving God, what Jesus prayed for me, I claim. I am Yours and You are mine. Whatever I may face this week, let me face it in the name and faith and spirit of Jesus. Let me bring glory to Your name! This I pray in the Name above all names, the strong name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde