Monday, July 13, 2015

We Have a Shepherd!

Image of Coastal Bend District families

Mark 6:30-34, 53-56 The apostles gathered around Jesus, and told him all that they had done and taught. He said to them, "Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while." For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. And they went away in the boat to a deserted place by themselves. Now many saw them going and recognized them, and they hurried there on foot from all the towns and arrived ahead of them. As he went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things. When they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennesaret and moored the boat. When they got out of the boat, people at once recognized him, and rushed about that whole region and began to bring the sick on mats to wherever they heard he was. And wherever he went, into villages or cities or farms, they laid the sick in the marketplaces, and begged him that they might touch even the fringe of his cloak; and all who touched it were healed.

The family gathered around the hospital bed of their dying father. Grandchildren and their families were there as well. The dad had been a faithful pastor for most of his life. After their visit, knowing that this may be the last time they may see their dad and grandpa alive, they decided to have a prayer and they formed a circle around him. After the prayer, one of the daughters said, "Why don't we say the 23rd Psalm together as part of our prayer?" Everyone agreed and they started. "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want..." They looked around and they started to giggle and laugh because that was all they knew of that psalm. What saved them is that they knew the Shepherd if not His psalm. They were people of faith, perhaps lacking in memorization skills; but they knew God.

Every part of this coming Sunday's Gospel lesson speaks of that Shepherd at work, bringing to life the words and teachings of the 23rd Psalm. Jesus provided a place for rest and renewal. And as people saw Him and recognized Him they gathered and Jesus shared as He usually would. A wise pastor once told me, "Jesus usually will attract a crowd," and He does if we present Him as alive and powerful as ever. Our God is a God of love and compassion, and as the psalmist knew Him, a God of wholeness and healing. Do you know Him in that way? The key to these people was their search for Jesus as we should daily seek Him and His face for our lives and the day ahead. I arise early each day to connect with God in hopes that I may know Him more deeper and learn from Him what I need for my day. John Wesley used to believe that 5 a.m. was the time to connect with God, and I chuckled this morning because I knew that to mean that by 5 o'clock you had to be dressed and in his chapel to begin worship. I do good to drag myself out of bed at that hour and begin my time of worship as close to 5:25 as I can. It matters not the time, we must connect with God and in a way that will show Him off to others during our day so that others will seek the same for themselves.

PRAYER: Loving Shepherd, come into my heart today; come in to stay. Come in to say through me that the world needs to hear; give me boldness and courageous words to bless You and Yours. Bring healing to this dear reader and me, in whatever we may be needing. This I pray in Christ Jesus, my Lord and my Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde