Monday, August 10, 2015

Feasting on the Living Bread

John 6:51-58 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh." The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" So Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever."

Forget Wheaties. The true breakfast of champions is that warm creation made at home called flour tortillas. I'm sorry if I'm making you hungry or if you were denied that experience; but I was blessed (and still am!) by having many a breakfast, lunch, and supper that were made extra special with this bread of ours, la tortilla de harina. It's quite simple to make, the trick is to get it perfectly round, but I will still feast on "maps of the world," as older folks would joke about the shapes made by novices of the tortilla. It was in a real sense, a bread of life for many; handmade by love and served with same, it nourished many a hungry stomach.

Jesus again makes this claim that bewildered those first listeners, and angered others: I am the living bread that came down from heaven. That is enough to make religious types of His day get a little flustered. But listen again to what He says next, "Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for life of the world is my flesh." What? Is this man offering himself as a food for cannibals? What secret rite does this man have for his followers? We know now this was setting the stage for that sacrament we still celebrate today, Holy Communion. A sacrament that remembers, thanks, and looks forward to, all Jesus Christ shared with us then, now, and in the Great Banquet to come. Still a mystery to many, but meant to bless those who receive it with sincerity of heart, and gratefulness of spirit.

Jesus still invites us to abide in Him and to have Him abide in us. Just like those early meals when I thought having eaten flour tortillas I could face anything, with Christ living in me and you, we can still have that attitude of gratitude and confidence that we live and serve because of the living God in us. Blessed to live fully in this life, and promised to live eternally in the next; what better message do we have for the world?

PRAYER: Living God, be present in my life and let me live in You. Bless me and use me. Strengthen me and guide me to bless others for Your sake. This I pray in Your name, Jesus my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde