Monday, July 11, 2016

Let Me Have All Things

Let me have all things, let me have nothing.

Once I became a parent and now as a grandparent, I realized the humorous clamoring of children at times is mine. There is a huge difference between want and need. Children, and some of us, are slow to learn that, for we "need" almost everything we covet or desire. My "want" list is now relatively short, for God has supplied all my needs. Yet, if I ask one of my grandchildren, their "need" list is long. If you don't believe me take them to Toys'Rus or the toy department of any discount store. As soon as their little eyes see something, it is, of course, something they need!

The prayer of Wesley deals with our needs and wants, but keeps it in a healthy perspective. In our relationship with God, we trust God enough to say what Wesley said, if You want to give us all things, I am fine and happy with that; if You chose to give me nothing, I am fine and happy with that. The key is our knowing that as long as God is with us, we will lack for nothing. The very first verse of that famous 23rd Psalm, in King james English, was something we all learned, but it was years before we realized its true, deep meaning. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." I struggled in Sunday school yet didn't ask for fear of revealing what my Sunday school teacher may have suspected about me; but I wanted to ask, "Why do I not want the Lord?" Now I know and rejoice in saying because the Lord is the good shepherd of my life, I lack nothing.

Make God the Good Shepherd of your life and you too, can join David, and others who declare, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.

PRAYER: God of all provision, you know my heart and thoughts; make them right and real before You and for me. Let me have the deep faith of those who trusted completely in You so that I can honestly and truly pray, "I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee. Let me be full, let me be empty. Let me have all things, let me have nothing," I pray in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.