Monday, November 07, 2016

Buildings May Disappear; Hang On To Your Faith!

Image of Sarita and Liam at a 3D movie some years back.

When some were speaking about the temple, how it was adorned with beautiful stones and gifts dedicated to God, he said, ‘As for these things that you see, the days will come when not one stone will be left upon another; all will be thrown down.’ They asked him, ‘Teacher, when will this be, and what will be the sign that this is about to take place?’ And he said, ‘Beware that you are not led astray; for many will come in my name and say, “I am he!” and, “The time is near!” Do not go after them. ‘When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for these things must take place first, but the end will not follow immediately.’ Then he said to them,‘Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and plagues; and there will be dreadful portents and great signs from heaven. ‘But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name. This will give you an opportunity to testify. So make up your minds not to prepare your defence in advance; for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict. You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, by relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. You will be hated by all because of my name. But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your souls. (Luke 21:5-19)

Growing up movies were a big part of life.  The Texas Theater in Kingsville, and later the South Main Drive In in Houston were key places for me.  Every Saturday saw me sitting in the coldest place in Kingsville watching a movie at least twice for the same price of admission, a cool ten cents.  The South Main saw me there more often as I had a job there and on my nights off I would go and see the movies over and over again.  No one ever said, "Do you see the Texas Theater and South Main Drive-In?  The day will come they will not be there any longer."  I would have hit that person or gotten really mad.  Imagine my sadness my first weekend home from college as we drove along South Main and the theatre was gone!  Great sadness was mine.  Some years later, as a DS I get to drive through Kingsville and see that the Texas Theatre is boarded up after having served as a church for a while.  Now, I am not comparing the sacredness of of the Temple in Jerusalem to these theaters; just the impact of what Jesus was telling the disciples relates to our sadness to special places in our lives.  I thank God my childhood chruch is still open and as beautiful as ever; but my church of my youth, El Buen Pastor UMC in Houston is closed.  The building still stands.

Jesus' words were about the end times, and all that would occur to the world; in spite of what may happen to the world, Jesus is saying, your faith is more important than any building or what may happen in your city or nation.  If persecution comes, I will give you the words and the wisdom with which to defend yourself.  The time may even come, Jesus continued, when even your own family will abandon you because of your faith; you may even be hated by all, "But not a hair of your head will perish.  By your endurance you will gain your souls."

My faith in Jesus Christ is strong, and God is still in control of the world.  I pray your faith is strong as well and that you will give witness to the love and mercy of the Lord to those who have yet to see it.

PRAYER:  Loving God, may Your love and mercy be gifts from You that we can and should share with others.  As we pray this morning, we pray for Alicia Carrizales and the surgery she will undergo later today.  Comfort her and her family; and be with all today who need Your healing touch.  In Christ Jesus' precious name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde