Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Set Apart for the Gospel

Image from purepurpose.org

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures, the gospel concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was declared to be Son of God with power according to the spirit of holiness by resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for the sake of his name, including yourselves who are called to belong to Jesus Christ, To all God’s beloved in Rome, who are called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 1:1-7)

As I started ministry there were no personal computers.  I was blessed to have married a woman who owned a personal portable ELECTRIC typewriter!  I had been blessed by my parents in that they bought me a Sears portable manual typewriter, which got me through college and university years, and the first years of seminary.  But, for the last year, being a husband and co-owner of a Smith-Corona ELECTRIC typewriter, I produced some neat-looking papers.  I'm not going to vouch for the content, but let's just say it got me good marks on my transcript.  At my first church I had access to the ancient, huge whatever-the-opposite-of-state-of-the-art typewriter.  It was electric and would hum loudly and make the old steel government issue desk shake as I typed.  I was able to place our first born daughter on it when I would take her to work in her carryall, and I would place her on the desk, turn on the typewriter and she would fall fast asleep.  To use the typewriter meant I either had to produce the coming Sunday's bulletin, or answer correspondence.  I loved having access to the file cabinet with letters sent and received by predecessors of that church.  I especially loved reading the Spanish letters sent by The Rev. Dan Garcia.  Dan knew, probably through raiding his own file cabinets in his churches, how to write the best letters.  And I suspect that someone in that chain early on copied the Apostle Paul, who is the master of salutations.  

In this passage he begins like in most, identifying himself and explaining his calling.  In this particular one he says a truth about those who seek to serve God; "set apart for the gospel of God."  Many a theological class and Bible interpretation class were devoted to understanding that passage.  Many a candidate for ministry has stumbled in his or her explanation of their call when asked what makes them truly "set apart."  Paul would say that part of our identity depends on knowing that who we are and what we are called to do is way different from those who are not.  Being set apart, in Paul's life and example, means taking one's call very seriously, and is a never-ending process of sanctification; being made holy by following and practicing spiritual disciplines of prayer, fasting, study of scripture, worship, participating in the sacraments; all as a realization that the closer we get to God the more we will need God's love, comfort, joy, and peace.  Talk, better yet, pray for a minister about to close a stewardship campaign or evangelism week.  She or he will say that they are thankful they are close to God because some folks are not and do their best to try and separate us from what little holiness we may have.

"Grace and apostleship" is what we have received through our relationship with Jesus, and that's exactly what we need to share with others.  Obedience is another trait that shows we are truly set apart; all for the sake of Jesus' name and ministry in the world.  Our is a mission to share God's grace and peace with all.

PRAYER:  Loving God, as we start this day I ask to be set apart by You and ask for the strength to do what blesses You and Yours as I seek to be made strong in my faith and faithful in my service to You.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde