Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Jesus Weeps Over Jerusalem

Image from desiringGod.org

As (Jesus) came near and saw the city, He wept over it, saying, "If you, even you, had only recognized on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. Indeed, the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up ramparts around you and surround you, and hem you in on every side. They will crush you to the ground, you and your children within you, and they will not leave within you one stone upon another; because you did not recognize the time of your visitation from God." (Luke 19:41-44)

I grew up hearing quite often, "Los hombres no lloran," meaning "men don't cry."  And I would hear the story of one of my uncles who when about 14 or so, grew a mustache and decided to go into town by himself.  The story goes that he walked into town and some girls followed him, and he ran home crying.  My grandfather told him, "Men don't cry, especially men with mustaches!"  He replied, but my mustache isn't crying!"  As I heard these stories I hadn't yet become familiar with the stories of Jesus weeping; and I hadn't yet seen my dad cry.  When I saw my dad cry and I read that Jesus wept, I knew something was wrong with that saying.

Crying comes from the heart who deeply feels the pain and emotion of someone else or something that triggers that sadness expressed in tears.  During the final week of Jesus on earth before His crucifixion and death, Luke shares Jesus' tears over the holy city.  Jerusalem was still viewed in a very positive light by the Jews and especially those who lived in it, but it was no where the major capital and center of influence it enjoyed during David's and Solomon's reigns; but it still mattered.  Where once people trekked to be blessed spiritually, the city now reflected an American city, set more on commerce and personal wellbeing than it did a city that cared for all people. This was enough to make Jesus weep.  The temple was no longer a powerhouse of prayer and blessing; it was the site of swap meets and flea markets.  The folks running it were keepers of tradition and ritual, lording over those who still sought God the do's and don'ts of a fading religion.  People found they could still be religious, but relationship with God was no longer possible, for it was not a topic of sermons or teachings.  Jesus wept because the city did not recognize what was possible with Him in it; and Jesus saw its future and it was not a bright one; all because it did not recognize the time God visited it.

God has visited my life, just as God has visited yours.  God offered us a relationship through Jesus, and many have taken advantage of it; but as we draw near to Good Friday, what in your life truly makes you weep out of sadness as you realize that none of our sins will lead to an abundant future.  All of our sins serve only to block out the light of God's love and light for our lives.  That path that lead to Golgotha is the same path we are walking if we don't ask Jesus to take our sins with Him to that cross.  We may just find ourselves as that second thief nailed with Him - the one who did not realize Who Jesus was and what He offered.

"I have come that they might have life, and that in abundance."  That still holds true.  It is still your invitation to life in Jesus Christ.

PRAYER:  Loving God, I do want to weep as I think of things that I know I should rid myself of, but still cling to.  Rid me in Jesus' name of my fears, my doubts, my worries, my selfishness, my self-centeredness; and forgive me when I try to make that the focus of my church life as well.  I stand before you as a person of in need...  I seek Your love and forgiveness.  And I pray in Christ  Jesus' powerful name, amen.

Walk towards the cross as a forgiven person, not a bystander wanting a thrill.

Eradio Valverde