Wednesday, December 27, 2017

In the Fullness of Time... (God's Time!)

Image from bible.knowing-jesus.com

But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children. And because you are children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, ‘Abba! Father!’ So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God. (Galatians 4:4-7)

I don't know about you but now it seems that time goes by so fast.  If you do a daily routine that involves knowing the date, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  I read the Upper Room each morning after my time in prayers, and so I know the date.  As I write this devotional I note the date again in my head, and in a bit I will play my Daily Challenge of Solitaire on my tablet.  But ask me later this morning what date it is, I will probably forget!  But I know it's gotten here fast.

As Paul writes today's passage to the church in Galatia, he recalls the birth of Jesus with the words, "But when the fullness of time had come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children."  It was all in God's time, not ours.  As we read yesterday, two old people from the temple had waited many years for Jesus; one saw Him and knew that he could at last die in peace.  The other knew in her heart that God had finally acted on our behalf and sent Jesus.  The reason is also clear, and important to us; "In order to redeem" us and so that we might be adopted as God's children.  Not only is our sin taken away, our identity changes as one outside the family of God, into being an adopted child, and because we are now children, God has sent His Spirit into our hearts and we can now cry out to God as "Abba!  Father!"  Abba being the almost-equivalent of "Daddy!" or "Dada" in our English, a term that blesses those dads called that, because no one else gets to use that with them.  And, the good news continues; we are no longer slaves, but children, and if children, Paul writes, we are heirs, through God, into the fullness of God's spiritual riches for us.

As we count down the days of this year, and await the start of a new one, we do so confident of all that this passage shares with us.  God's in control.  All things come in God's time, and when they do, the blessings we receive are beyond that which we expected.  Last night, our three youngest grandchildren made it to have Christmas with us, and they opened a ton of gifts from us and from their aunts and uncle.  The expression of their faces made it all worth it.  The joy on ours was to see them and be with them, and they had that expression, but as I handed out gifts, it was Christmas all over again for them.  

PRAYER:  Loving God, help me to keep Your time for my life, knowing that Your pace brings a peace that I can find nowhere else.  Help me to proclaim that I belong to You and have enjoyed and will enjoy even more, all that You provide for us.  And let that be a part of the joy I can share with others, especially those outside the realm of Your love.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be a child and cry to the Lord in your prayers, "Abba!  Father!"

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Request:  And speaking of Daddys, today in New Braunfels, Kody and Kat Lester are expecting the arrival of their son by C-section early this morning.  Please pray for a safe and healthy delivery that all may be well and joyful to them.