Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Humiliation & Vindication

Image from workingpreacher.com

The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backwards. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame;  he who vindicates me is near.Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty?All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up. (Isaiah 50:4-9a)

Dear Friend, may this be a great day for you and all you have to do in it!  This passage is part of Jesus' passion, for the passion followed the triumphant entry into Jerusalem.  It was written by the prophet Isaiah and it described all that Jesus would face and His attitude that would see Him through all that He suffered.

The word that jumped out at me was the word flint.  Just last week our group was in the Wilderness outside of Jerusalem.  For years I have tried to imagine what the wilderness looked like and I finally saw.  It is not in any sense of the word a forest.  It is high mountains, mostly barren of much vegetation.  The little there is helps the shepherds who take their flocks there during this season, for in a couple of weeks what is green now turns brown.  But as we stopped to take in the view of the wilderness, our professor took up the different sorts of rocks and stones, and he picked up a piece of flint and said a few words about it.  It is among the hardest of rocks, used for instruments both good and bad because of the way it stands up to most things.  And the prophet uses it to describe how the face of our Savior endured the hits and spitting that came upon Him.

Jesus was and continues to be, a teacher; our teacher if we but ask and listen.  His word still sustains the weary.  Each morning He was on the earth, He relied on God to speak to Him and to guide Him.  More importantly Jesus' heart was tuned in to the sorrows and needs of those around Him.  He had an open ear and a caring heart.  And He still does.  Once taken into custody, He faced the Father for strength and peace. As He was mocked and struck, He stayed calm, and as the prophet had predicted, He never felt disgrace nor shame.  He knew God was near and God would see Him through.  All who came at Him as adversaries soon found they had lost everything by siding against Jesus.  Even today, we are called to stand with and proclaim Jesus as Lord and Savior; and as King of Kings.

Whatever it may be that has come against you, you stand not alone, but with He who has endured so much to love and save you.  Jesus still has a loving and listening ear, and a strong and caring heart.  Turn it all over to Him and He will care for you.

PRAYER:  Loving God, as I see the end of this Lenten Journey, strengthen me and guide me.  Let me be a blessing to You and to those who look to me.  As I pray I turn over to Your loving hands that which has hurt or paused me a bit; I want to move every onward and upward with Thy help; this I pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  You belong to the Lord! Show that to someone today!

Eradio Valverde