Tuesday, February 02, 2021

The Urgency to Preach & Witness!

Image from agnusday.org

Hear the devotional read here: http://bit.ly/3crvr33

16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in my preaching I may make the gospel free of charge, not making full use of my right in the gospel. 19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, that I might win the more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law--though not being myself under the law--that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law--not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ--that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:16-23 Revised Standard Version Bible)

May this be a tremendous Tuesday for you all, ConCafe Family, and may this day serve you, dear one, as a day of full service to the Lord! May we pray, share, and give in ways that bring honor and glory to God.

Upon entering Perkins School of Theology for my seminary education, incoming students were told to be self-evaluating and to come up with what we perceived to be our weaknesses, so that upon our internship time, we could seek a church setting where we could address that weakness. Preaching was my weakness. Being a shy person, I refused God's call to preach on that basis. God convinced me that He could change me and use me if I would but surrender to Him, and I did. As the time neared for my internship, I asked my classmates from the Rio Grande Conference, who they believed to be the best preacher in the Spanish language. The answer was almost unanimous and this pastor, The Rev. Francisco "Pancho" Gaytan, was senior minister at El Mesias United Methodist Church in Mission, Texas. I knew Mission to have been my father's birthplace, and an aunt of mine lived near the church, but I knew very little about the church. Little did I know the most beautiful single woman in the world was a newly received member of El Mesias! Arrangements were made, and as much as I looked forward to learning how to preach under Rev. Gaytan, God called him out of the pulpit and into the district superintendency in the next town! I then learned about preaching from The Rev. Jose Galindo. More importantly, I learned that a good preacher has a great wife praying and supporting him (and the same is true for female preachers!), which worked out in my marrying that beautiful woman, Maria Nellie Rosales de Valverde. I also say, "Good morning" to Pancho and Elisa, who enjoy breakfast time with ConCafe. I also say, "Good morning" to Joel (Jody Galindo, Rev. Galindo's second son, and a devoted, faithful reader of ConCafe and prayer warrior for all the persons for whom we ask prayers.

Preaching is such an awesome responsibility that the true preacher fears every step he or she takes into the pulpit. They know that every word must ring true with what God has asked them to preach. In the same way, the layperson felt called to witness his or her faith, should live a life that glorifies God and each act or story shared with someone should bring that person closer to God. My first assigned day to preach (for a grade) at El Mesias, I spent throwing up at my aunt's house, as fear had gripped me and I feared that I would let the Lord down. When I arrived to the church, I shared with Rev. Galindo that experience and he shared what he had learned at Perkins from his preaching professor; "The day you no longer fear preaching is the day you should quit preaching." That comforted me, as it does to this day. As true a statement as I have ever heard. If we were to read into what Paul writes, we would assume that he was never afraid, but I believe we would be wrong. Paul feared the Lord with much love and respect; he knew that he HAD to preach the gospel. And as he preached, he knew it was solely to proclaim that which God had placed in his heart; thus "no ground for boasting," because his obligation is to preach the good news of Jesus Christ. His motivation was to fulfill his obedience to Christ, for thus was why he was "commissioned" to preach; not for a personal reward, but a fulfillment of his calling. The late Rev. D. T. Niles, a prominent evangelist and preacher, once wrote, "Evangelism is one beggar telling another where to find bread." Paul lived that for he found in the Bread of Life, the bread that sustained and nurtured him all his life. And the aim of every preacher, nay, every believer, is to help feed the spiritual hunger so many face. Much in the same way, if we eat at a new and special restaurant we tell as many people about it, so should we urgently share where we have found the Bread of Life that is Jesus Christ.

Paul also knew the key to preaching and witnessing was to become all things for all people; he knew how to relate and adapt the message to the audience, all in order to win people to Jesus; all for the sake of the gospel. To share is to bless, and to bless is to also share in the blessings. The more we win for Christ, the greater our blessings, and the greater the blessings the world receive from souls who have given themselves to God. We find or should find ways to relate to others in the place where they are, the way to move away from there to where Christ would have them be.

PRAYER: Loving God, speak to our hearts; make us bolder and braver to share You with the world. May we share our lives as living, loving sermons that meet people where they are and lead them to where You would have them be; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be the best sermon someone will hear today!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde