Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Welcome the King!

Image from bible.com

Hear the devotional here: http://bit.ly/316w37A

12 The next day the great crowd that had come for the festival heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem. 13 They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, “Hosanna! ” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”“Blessed is the king of Israel!” 14 Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written: 15 “Do not be afraid, Daughter Zion; see, your king is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt.” 16 At first his disciples did not understand all this. Only after Jesus was glorified did they realize that these things had been written about him and that these things had been done to him. (John 12;12-16 NIV)

Happy Monday dear ConCafe Family! And we anticipate the celebration most churches as Sunday is Palm Sunday! May the days leading up to that event prepare and bless you, Friend, for all experiences leading to it are blessings to be had and shared! We have no updates on Austin Police Officer Elijah Neely, but his wife has started a GoFundMe campaign to help with their hosptial costs. Officer Neely has been in the hospital since Valentine's Day (Feb. 14) , and we can only imagine the costs the family will have to bear for his treatment. Please continue to pray for this officer, for his healing, for his family, and his coworkers. I will place a link at the bottom of this devotional in case you would like to contribue to his campaign. Also, two children of my first cousin in Chicago are also battling Covid and they are also in serious condition and need our prayers. Pray for the Rivera sisters. Thank you and may God bless you for your prayers. Pray for one another, pray for yourselves. We thank you again for your kindness and understanding for Nellie and I to enjoy time off together. It was relaxing and we also got some work in. I send out congratulations to David & Norma Marroquin of McAllen, Texas, who on Saturday celebrated 50 years of wedding bliss! In conversations prior to my officiating their renewal, David let me know that three times he asked Norma to marry him, she only would reply with "Maybe." Even while kneeling at the altar 50 years ago, while the pastor turned to do do something on the altar table, David asked Norma if she would marry him, and she smiled, then laughed and said, "Maybe." Great people who have blessed me and many with their faith. David, I would add, was on a team I led to San Juan, Puerto Rico back in September, 1991. I remember the date because I was invited back as the spiritual director of that Walk to PR for their 10th Anniversary celebration. Funds did not allow me to attend and that weekend was the 9-11 attack on New York. I told Nellie that I had I gone to PR no telling when I would have been allowed back with all that followed that event. Nellie also had surgery that weekend and her surgeon had to rent a car in California to drive back to San Antonio to be with her for that operation.

Palm Sunday sets the stage in our hearts as it did on that Sunday in Jerusalem when Jesus entered the Holy City as someone special. The festival being celebrated during that week was Passover and that usually drew very large crowds to Jerusalem for that important celebration. The crowd already in town heard that Jesus was on His way to the city and so they prepared a welcome for Him that included palm branches and the shouting of "Hosanna!" and "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" They even made it more political by shouting, "Blessed is the king of Israel!" Not what you would imagine the king of Israel wanted to hear his enemies shouting. Yet, Jesus did as He was supposed to, He found a young donkey and sat on it, as a powerful symbol of the Jewish history and heritage, and a fulfillment of prophecy that said, "See, your king is coming, seated on a donkey's colt." His welcome that Sunday would be far different from the cries shouted out on Thursday night and all morning on Friday. And it would be after Jesus' resurrection that they would realize just what had indeed happened with Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem.

A study of people on Sunday would show excitement and hope in the coming of this itinerant rabbi who had done incredible things that the people could not explain but did get blessed by seeing and hearing about them. Jesus, after all, had cured the lame, the blind, the multitudes of crowds with diverse diseases, and had even raised the dead. A study of the same people on Friday would show that most of those excitedly shouting for Jesus' arrival as King were now joining the voices of others who wanted Him dead. And sadly, many would truly believe that Jesus served no purpose and that His death would be the best thing for their faith. I have often wondered, would I be among the crowd shouting for His death on Friday even though I had shouted His welcome on Sunday? Or, would I have felt faith take over my life on Sunday to shout for His release on Friday? I thank God I was not there, but I am here now. And how I live my life shouts out what I truly believe and what I truly want from God for me, and for others. What are you shouting?

PRAYER: Loving God, come into my heart, my life, my family, my work, my play, and be KING! Be He who reigns over me and protects me. Let me live a life that shouts my love for You in a way that will draw others to You. Let this be the beginning of a revival and re-awakening of faith in all people; this we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Shout your life in Christ today; let all hear it. Use words if necessary!

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde

Click here to donate to Officer Neely's medical needs: https://www.gofundme.com/f/officer-needs-assistance-elijah-neely?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer