Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Gathering of the Flock

Image from godlovesprofit.com

Listen to the devotional:https://bit.ly/3xDfJtC

1 "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture!" says the LORD. 2 Therefore thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who care for my people: "You have scattered my flock, and have driven them away, and you have not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for your evil doings, says the LORD. 3 Then I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. 4 I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing, says the LORD 5 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. 6 In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.' (Jeremiah 23:1-6 Revised Standard Version)

A wonderful Wednesday be yours today, dear ConCafe Family, and joys of blessings upon blessings be yours, dear friend is my prayer! Our heartfelt prayers for Mr. Travis Anderson who's in a Corpus Christi hospital's ICU. Travis is the son of Mark and Debbie Anderson of St. John's UMC of CC. Prayers also for Mr. Dane Sullivan of Gonzales recovering at home after he received a necessary surgery. Prayers for his healing and recovery. Pray for one another; and pray for yourselves.

As a boy I remember one Sunday morning listening to the sermon with a quizzative mind, namely, does this pastor feel any excitement in what he is sharing or is it just a routine? It was something that I believe was prepping me for the road I woulld ultiamtely follow when I answered yes to God's call on my life, and that followed me every time I was in church and worshiping God. It finally made me realize that I did love hearing sermons, but only what I deemed good for whatever that meant at that point of my life. And once when in seminary I remember trying to make new friends while ilistening to other people's call stories, and I was shocked at the number of "calls" centered on money and perceived convenience. I kept hearing my Lord's words from Matthew 22:14, "Many are called, few are chosen." Through the years I lost track of many, and I pray they did finally learn what their call was truly about. One man said his minister had "the dream job. He has a membership at the country club, plays golf, enjoys fine meals there, and drives a nice car; why wouldn't I want to do that?" Uh. I regret knowing that some stayed with the "call," and did pretty much what this passage is about, scattered the sheep of the Lord's flock for they did little to show care for the flock and neglected the needs. And I remember the morning that Bishop Dorff called and invited me to be on his cabinet as a superintendent and then told me to which distirct I would be assigned. Silently, I prayed asking God's help for the new road on which I would travel, asking for wisdom and His anointing so I could serve faithfully; then I called Nellie and together we cried as I told her the news, adding that we were bound to secrecy and could not even tell our girls. Then I went home and we prayed together. Again, I prayed asking for wisdom, and I heard God tell me three things that we needed to do as a church; 1) recapture the power of prayer, 2) put passion in the pulpit, and 3) purpose in the pew. Once upon a time the people called Methodists were known for their power in praying, and the reality that they prayed from their hearts and not from a prayer book. On my Sundays off, I loved to visit colleagues preach and that I believe prompted the second, we truly need passion in the pulpit. The end of worship services many times leaves people wondering what should be next, and pastors should emphasze what purpose they expect from the pew.

Through the years I have heard the different labels associated with the different styles of pastoring we have seen. "Keepers of the Aquarium," whose name kinda gives it away. Then there are "chaplains of the church," which serve much in the same way as chaplains in the military or in schools. "Social Directors," whose role is to keep people entertained and happy. Fewer and growing every smaller are the true "shepherds," as those who fit the role that God is talking about in this passage. Who sacrifice much to care and bless their flocks, while still seeking other sheep not yet in the fold. Those mentioned above care mainly about keeping the in, in, and quite possibly keeping the out, out. I do, however, still believe that Jesus will gather back His flock, from the remnant of His flock, and supply us with these new shepherds who can and will be fruitful and multiply, and these shepherds should care for them, and they will drive out fear, dismay, and wander off no more. Their love will be demonstrated in their sermons, their pastoral care and visits, their teachings, and the way they model their lives which reveal their true hearts for God. Our prayers go up for all mentioned today, that God would work in and through, and in spite of, them all, for the greater good of His work among us.

PRAYER: Loving Shepherd of the world, our prayers go up for all who were mentioned here. You better than we, know the needs and challenges ever before the Church, and we pray that Your will be done. Bless in us mighty ways to go forth to do Your will and that we might bring blessings to Your Church; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be a shepherd's helper among the sheep in your local flock.

Receive my blessings of hope and strength,

Pastor Eradio Valverde