Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Just Like Jesus!

Image from biblia.com

Listen to the devotional from Zorro right here: https://bit.ly/3C5x8hf

25 So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another. 26 Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and do not make room for the devil. 28 Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labor and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy. 29 Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption. 31 Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, 32 and be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you. 1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, 2 and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 4:25-5:2 New Revised Standard Version)

Happy Tuesday ConCafe Family! And may the rich and wonderful blessings of the Lord bless you, Friend, as you bless others by sharing those. May we bless and honor the Lord with our prayers for those who have requested assistance from us through our prayers; may we pray for each other, and may we lift up our needs before the Lord. Let us dedicate ourselves to glorifying God and honoring Christ each and every day!

I was Zorro. I was a poor, and quite chubby one at that, but nonetheless, I was Zorro. I had a hat, not the round black one that the TV Zorro wore, but it was Zorro's hat nonetheless. The TV Zorro had a cape, and so did I. Not a slick black cape like the masked crusader but a clean, nice-smelling towel held together with dos orquillas (two clothespins - sounds a bit more menacing en espanol.). And I had a very fine sword, made of native-grown mesquite, fresh off the tree. Since I had yet to start school, my daytimes were dedicated to fighting crime, saving lives, righting wrongs, and all that my imagination would serve up. All while dressed in my cape, hat, and sword. Thinking back I never had a mask. Oh well. Well, the day came that I was enrolled at the Hispanic Baptist Church's Kindergarten where I would learn the evils of bullfighting from Miss Moreno. I didn't like the idea of going to school, but in my household there would be no other choice for me. Even at that age, college, whatever that was, was where I had to go according to my Dad. So, the car ride from our home on West Ave A to another part of our smaill town were the firts steps towards graduation. Whatever that might be.

My heart sank as we approached the church and there in a home across the street from my new school was a boy dressed like Zorro. Except this boy had the official costume from a store of the real Zorro. I was out of the Zorro business. I'm sure the west side of Kingsville had need of its own Zorro, but my heart was no longer in it. The east side Zorro would have to make house calls to our side of town.

I imitated someone who inspired me. His exploits on TV as far as I knew were real and filmed live and on location. And, I believed, I could be like Zorro as the need arose. And through the years I have come to admire and even imitate others who inspired or motivated me. The imitation now did not involve costumes or dress; it involved attitudes, mindsets, daily practices, and whatever else made me believe I was closer to being like that person.

Today's passage is about our living just like the One who saved our lives and gave Himself so that you and I could live life in abundance. Let's look at what Paul believes this looks like. He begins by addressing the realities of life for all people. In our personal interactions, we should be persons of integrity. Jesus stressed that we should be men and women whose yes means yes, and our no means no. Jesus knew that too many say maybe when they mean no, or maybe when they mean yes. And yes, even in the church. I once asked some folks to make calls to designated members who had been asked to serve as officers and volunteers for the coming year. A dear sweet older lady of the church called a man whom was selected to serve as an officer. This dear woman was shocked by his response. Almost in tears, she said, "Pastor, this man, told me to go to (not heaven)." Just like that? "Yes!" I told her I was sorry but that was how some lived their lives. He certainly didn't say maybe. Paul was also aware that as humans we sometimes get angry. Paul believed there is a limit to our anger, after all, that day in the Temple, Jesus showed His anger towards those who were disrespecting His Father's House. Paul stresses we can be angry but not to the point where we sin. One of the things I learned from some of my churches was that we could be in the heat of the most heated of discussions, even to the point of shouting, but afterwards they all acted as if nothing had happened. And the last part of that verse I have used with many a couple in premartial counseling that there will be days when we might get angry with each other, but not to the point where one spends the night on the sofa in anger. One night on a sofa filled with anger may convince some that that is a better way to live. I thank God for those who learn to say I'm sorry or I was wrong before the night turns into morning. Paul stresses a night empty of anger is more a blessing than one where we toss and turn and sometimes fuel our anger rather than sleep.

And in the Christian's life there should be no room for the devil. The saints of the New Testament knew how this being lives and lies. Jesus said his job was threefold; to steal, kill, and destroy. He also called him the father of lies. And those who follow his path like thieves and robbers, should seek other ways of making money; and that would in turn make them generous. Our mouths were designed for praise, not evil talk; our words should be words with foundation on which we can build others up. And we should be aware that God's Holy Spirit is with us, and our actions should not bring Him to grief by the way we act.

Absent from our minds, words, actions should be bitterness, wrath, anger, wrangling, slander, and malice. We should instead be kind, tenderhearted, learn how to forgive, remembering that God has forgiven us. And? We should become imitators of Christ Jesus! No hats, capes, swords, or masks needed! Just love, love, love! And our actions of love will become the sweet, fragrant offerings of praise to God.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, fill us with everything good, and remove from us all the bad and negative. Make us all imitators of Your Son Jesus so that the world may seek You in new and awesome ways; this we pray in His strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be just like Jesus today!

Receive my blessings of peace and joy,

Pastor Eradio Valverde