Wednesday, January 26, 2022

I Am With You To Deliver You!

Image from medium.com

Hear the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3qYFgfS

4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." 6 Then I said, "Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." 7 But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, "I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord." 9 Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me, "Now I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant." (Jeremiah 1:4-10 NRSV)

A happy and a wondrous Wednesday be yours, ConCafe Family! May this day allow you to shine the light and love of the Lord in your life to all people is my prayer. The scheduled surgery for Mr. Dan Hisey will be on Thursday; it was postponed until then. Prayers for Baby Hudson, who continues to have good days and not so good days. May God bring only good days to this little guy is our prayer.

Whether you receive a job offer or a phone call advising you of a transer in your career or job, it is very significant. In the life of ministers, namely the United Methodist brand, it's during this season that eyes and ears are on the phone as a call may come letting them know of offers that may be coming to them. Some are expected calls, some are surprises, but all come with stress and anxiety of gladness and sadness.

The call to prophet came directly to him from God. Here, Jeremiah's call is shared with us. This one is very direct, for God informs the prophet that He had had his eyes on his life since before conception. And even before the baby could form in the womb he had his appointment secured as a prophet to the nations. Quite a title and quite the responsiblity. The prophet did not have to ask, "Who do I see about getting the keys to the church and my office?" In fact, the prophet has a ready excuse for saying, "Lord, I'm not ready for this appointment!" His words sum it up well, "Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." Let's see, if it were up to the church, they would like a 35.5 year old with 2.3 children, seminary degree, a gorgeous spouse who can play piano and lead either the UMM or UMW. Some would ask the requesting church, "Let's see, how many of that calibre pastor have you sent to seminary in the last ten years?" The answer for most churches was none, or even, never. It matters not, because God was sending and not only sending, but preparing the one whom He had chosen.

Listen to God, "Do not say, 'I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.'" What a recommendation and promise! God was not only sending, but equipping the boy with the messages he was to speak to the people. And, the greater promise, God would be with him and deliver him. Then, God stretches out His hand and touches the mouth of the boy and says, "Now I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you ove nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant." Whoa. Notice that God did not say that His messages were to be those of cheer up and keep doing what youre doing, because you're doing just fine, kind of a propertiy gospel type sermon or Joel Osteen type message. God's messages are not always positive or welcome to all people; nor should they be. God mentions the need to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, and to build and to plant. That means the prophet's job, just like that of the faithful pastors, would be difficult. There was no room to be a people-pleaser, only God-pleaser. All messages would deal with matters of life and death, and not all people greet those messages with open arms.

What we should take with us is that God has called all of us to His side. He wants to love us in ways that will make us tell others about it, and thus grow God's kingdom. He also has said that for those who seek to be faithful to our call, God is with us and God will deliver us. God can also prepare us to share that which we need to share with love and conviction.

PRAYER: Loving Father, walk with us and guide us to faithfulness. Guard our words and hearts to that which blesses You. Grant us strength for joyfully bring the deliverance of such messages; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Bless someone with love and truth about God today.

Receive my blessings of joy and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.